[telecom] Do landlines have a future with Generation Y?

I don't know how digest-worthy this is, but I think it's relevant. Like so many Americans I've had to take a part-time job in retail because I can't find another job in manufacturing where I worked for nearly 20 years. I sell technology products at a well-known national chain. A lot of people come in to look at landline telephones. I have noticed customers fall into two camps. Older people who think the phones are far too complicated. And younger people who simply don't understand how landline phones work.

A customer came in needing a phone. I had to let her win the argument that she could only use an AT&T branded phone because she had AT&T service. Obviously a Panasonic, Uniden, or RCA wouldn't be compatible with her AT&T service. Another customer was very suspicious when I told him the same thing that the modular jack was universal. But he did buy a non-AT&T phone.

About a week ago a customer returned phones I had sold him that morning. He was quite irate. He bought a cordless unit that included four handsets. He was furious that he could be on one handset and someone else in his house could pick up another handset and hear his conversation. I explained to him they were merely extensions of his home phone number. He thought he was buying a family plan of cordless phones each with its own number. But by his reaction you'd have thought I was the crazy one. How could a single phone number work on multiple phones?

It seems to me cellular phones and service are the new normal and landline phones are now considered strange and weird. Knowing this I'm not as thrown off by customer questions.

John

Reply to
John Mayson
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like a neighbor of mine, he can't figure out why his home phone does not ring when a cell call comes in while he is at home and his cell phone is charging. I have told him several times unless his forwards his cell to his home phone it will not.

Reply to
Steven

Cellphone habituees -- and even iPod habituees -- are well aware that one can plug multiple headsets into a cellphone or an iPod so that two or more folks can listen to the same mp3 tune.

The analogy with multiple handsets on one cordless phone should be easy for such a customer to grasp ... or am I underestimating current levels of cluelessness?

Cheers, -- tlvp

Reply to
tlvp

Is that really the case for US cordless phones? In Europe, landline cordless phones simply say "busy" when another handset on the same base/line is in use.

Greetings Marc

--

-------------------------------------- !! No courtesy copies, please !! ----- Marc Haber | " Questions are the | Mailadresse im Header Mannheim, Germany | Beginning of Wisdom " |

formatting link
by Nature | Lt. Worf, TNG "Rightful Heir" | Fon: *49 621 72739834

Reply to
Marc Haber

My 2 line Motorola Digital Cordless Phone will beep if you try to access a line when another phone or the base is in use, it also says line in use. I believe only the 5.8 GHz and newer will do this plus you need to Register it with the base.

Reply to
Steven

The (US) Vtechs that I have show "EXTENSION IN USE" or "LINE IN USE" if another handset (or wired phone) is offhook, but do allow you to connect to the call anyhow. So they don't protect you from eavesdropping. It's probably a design decision, as there may well be circumstances where you _want_ to patch in another user, and this way it has the same characteristics as wired extensions.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Garland

A lot of what you're seeing is just people who didn't keep up with the changing field of telecom.

I still sort of have a land-line if you consider VoIP to be such. But it is because I understand the difference between want and need regarding cell phones.

Now that I'll be working full time again I'll probably get a new cell phone. But that's the extent. Last time I had one with a 1,000 minute plan and I'd used maybe 20 minutes month. I'm much more interested in a reasonably priced wireless DATA plan. That would be worth its weight in gold to me. And I might just get my wish soon enough in my metro area, seems Clear is setting up as a I type.

Reply to
T

My DECT phones simply put up a "Line In Use".

Reply to
T

You are underestimating.

I have always worked with and been friends with geeks. It's been an eye-opener just how clueless so many people are about even the simplest technology. Just yesterday I had a woman ask if the anti-virus software she was holding would format her DVD. She explained to me she had a large DVD without much space and needed to format it. And she was quite certain the anti-virus software would do it because it was free (after mail-in rebate). No amount of logic or reasoning with her changed her mind.

I could keep people here entertained for weeks with stories about how some people are befuddled by even non-technical items such as picture frames, but that would be too far off topic. But would be funny.

Apparently this one worked like that. I don't have a landline so I don't know. I don't remember which brand he bought.

His anger didn't seem to match what had happened. I questioned to myself if his wife heard him talking to his girlfriend or something along those lines. I thought he was going to punch me.

John

Reply to
John Mayson

In order to bring one of the extensions on mine you use the Intercom function and then the other phone can join the call.

Reply to
Steven

Most phones I've seen work like that but Panasonic ones I bought recently automatically conference a handset with any call that's in progress when it's taken off hook just like those in the original complaint.

That's like a wired extension and I prefer it since remembering what buttons to push to transfer a call or put two people on at once is much harder than shouting.

There may be an option switch to change this behaviour and ensure privacy but I haven't bothered to look for it.

The bottom line is "they vary".

Reply to
Steve Hayes

We have a Uniden DECT4086. It defaults to Privacy Mode but the handset on the call can release Privacy.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Blake-Knox

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.