Regular Drop Connection Problem

Got a problem I'm hoping some people on the group might be able to help. I've recently signed up with a new ADSL provider, so far it's been okay except one thing. My ADSL modem keeps dropping connection every 15 minutes or so. This isn't exactly precisely

15 minutes but it averages thereabout plus minus 2 minutes either way. I check the line status and the noises ain't so bad. I've tried to call the ISP but the rep insists that the server never sets any sort of auto timeout. That doesn't make sense anyway because the modem disconnect happens whether the machine remains idle or not. Yes, while downloading the disconnect happens too.

The problem is okay for normal serfing, but I do play MMORPG off and on and getting a new IP address every 15 mins or so is a sure way to kill a session. BTW, I'm using Window XP and tried two different routers/modems (Linksys WAG54G and D-Link DSL500T) with the same result. DSL500T log shows regular disconnect/reconnect inteval at 14 to 16 minutes interval, strangely enough WAG54G log doesn't show reconnection events, but the IP address changes every

15 minutes or so all the same.

The ISP rep is still testing out the problem, but I'm wondering if anyone in the know might be able to shed some light on the situation. So far, I've been told that the technicians have tested out the account at the hub but did get the regular disconnection that I'm currently experience.

BTW, never had the same problem with the old ADSL provider with the same two modems. TIA

Later...

Reply to
Kirati
Loading thread data ...

My bad, I should have said that the technicians cannot replicate my problem back at their office.

I meant I tried it with the two I have an access to. One of this, I'm using. Another one belongs to my brother. Either of these work fine on the other DSL provider.

Later...

Reply to
Kirati

No, I think he means that when it happens to you, the technicians should be able to check their logs and see what caused the disconnection. I would definitely check your DSL modem immediately and see if it lost sync or similar. My DSL modem can also give me information about when and why connections were lost, maybe yours can too.

It could be the wiring. Perhaps this DSL provider is using a higher speed that is more sensitive to line conditions. If you don't already have a high-quality splitter as close to the place where the phone line enters your house as possible, with no interior wiring on the DSL part of the line, I would change to that wiring. Use category 5 or other high-quality wire from the demarc to the splitter and from the splitter to the DSL modem (or its jack). Even if it doesn't solve your problem immediately, it's still what you want if you care about quality.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

"Kirati" wrote

Then they should be able to tell what initiated the disconnect.

TWO modems ????????

Reply to
Ken Abrams

The technicians definitely have log access, I'm told as much that the my disconnection was observed from the hub end through the log. The tech, however, was at wit-end as to why the line was dropped. Apparently, the log they've got wasn't specific about from where the problem originates.

*sigh* Strangely enough my Linksys WAG54G was less specific on system events than access events. All I'm getting is warm start/cold start stuff, none of those connection and disconnection event. On the DLink DSL500T things are more specific. But not by much, from my end all I see is a message stating that connection is terminated and reconnection starts.

Wiring is obviously suspect as the current set up makes use of basic

4-wire phone line. Still, over a 512K line, I don't see how this could be a major concern. Besides, the other line, with feed from another DSL provider, runs on the same sort of copper, without the connection problem. Finally, the regularity of drop connection makes it unlikely to be caused by some sort of noises. I realize that the interval isn't exactly 15 minutes, but it's darned close. Can't see how a noise-related problem could cause disconnection that runs that regular. Thanks for the help all the same though.

Later...

Reply to
Kirati

"Kirati" wrote

Here's a long shot: Your DSL wiring has a "split" pair somewhere inside the house OR it has a staple through the insulation OR it has a slight ground from a bare wire touching something metallic OR there is a spider's nest inside a jack............ AND Something electrical in (or very nearby) your building runs about every 15 minutes; refrig, sump pump, dehumidifier, fish tank heater, etc. The EMI generated when the electrical appliance runs gets into your bad wiring but not the other circuit which has "good" wiring (or a branch of your inside wire runs close to the offending appliance.)

Then again, a similar situation could exist on your pair between the house and the CO.

Good luck!

Reply to
Ken Abrams

Hmmm... worth a shot I guess. I have another line into my house. Will try to have the DSL switch the line and see if things improve. Thanks for you help.

Later...

Reply to
Kirati

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.