Linksys WAG54G drops DSL connection

Contact your dsl provider and get them in on the problem. They can make the phone Co. fix the line or at least help find the cause of your problem. I had the same problem. It was the phone Co. I was on Qwest with Covad as adsl provider. Covad wimped out. TOSSED BOTH OUT. Now I have new phone Co.and SDSL and now ME HAPPY CAMPER. : )))))

Reply to
Teddybare
Loading thread data ...

I set up my home network system last September, using a Linksys WAG54G Wireless-G ADSL Gateway, wired to my main desktop computer and wireless linked to another desktop and a laptop computer. All three of our household computers are running Windows XP Professional with SP 2, and have been very stable.

After getting the initial problems all resolved, this network setup has been very stable and fast...until last Friday afternoon. It started dropping the DSL connection and re-connecting in a very erratic pattern. It will not stay up longer than about 10 minutes, now. When the connection is up, everything seems normal. It is fast and stable for a few minutes, then it goes catatonic, again.

I have tried all the standard troubleshooting approaches...re-boot, power off and unplug the Gateway for 3 minutes, etc. but have not found the cause, or a solution to the problem.

I can use my dial-up connection, and everything functions as it should, but it is sometimes hard to establish a dial-up connection. This has led me to think that there may be a phone line noise problem. My service provider (swbell.net), denies this, and seems reticent to check things out any further.

I even ran a temporary phone cable from my ADSL Gateway to the phone service box outside, disconnecting from the household phone wiring entirely during this test, but this made no difference. My DSL service provider suggested this, before they will start any serious effort to locate a line problem.

Is there anything else I should try? I'm even thinking of borrowing another ADSL Gateway to see if mine is defective.

Reply to
Gordon

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be one of the microfilters I was using.It would intermittently generate noise causing the dsl link to drop.

Reply to
NBT

Thanks for this suggestion. I have some spare microfilters. I'll try switching them. However, these were not in the circuit while I was hooked up to the phone service entrance box, outside. That is, I had the entire household phone wiring disconnected from the service drop line, and had my WAG54G Gateway connected directly to this phone service drop, using a long phone patch cable. The problem persisted, unchanged in any way that I could tell. I also tested my dial-up service with this phone hook-up, and it too was flaky.

Reply to
Gordon
[snip]

Teddybare, I have already done this, but so far it has not gotten them to take any action on the problem. My ISP and my phone company are one and the same...SWBell. Their posture is that if they send a technician out and find no problem with their line or service entrance drop, they will have to bill me for the cost of this work. They claim to have already checked my line with their facilities at the phone central office. They claim to have found it within specs as far as noise is concerned. I contend that the noise is intermittent, and may not be discernable for several minutes at a time. It seems to knock the connection down about every 10 minutes, give or take.

I also wonder if their phone central office check would reveal a noise problem caused by an intermittent connection at the service drop to my house. They are looking at the problem from the wrong end of the line, it seems to me. With all my phones on the hook, and my DSL Router presenting only a very high impedance load, would a line connections problem really reflect back to the central office test equipment? I think not, at least not very noticeably.

Reply to
Gordon

Many years ago (1989 maybe) I had a similar intermittent problem with my dialup connection to the local university (back then it might have been no more than 1200 baud!).

Continually complaining to the phone company had not effect - they were not obliged to give data service!

But a little analysis on my part and pushing on the phone company finally resulted in a solution.

How often does the problem occur? EXACTLY? I found that the interference that caused the modem to drop happened at exactly 3, 18,33 and 48 minutes after the hour.

Complaining to the phone company that I was going the state public service commission and finally having a phone guy here to see the problem occur as I predicted got some results. Asked customer service at the phone company what would happen if the president of the phone company had the same problem, would it get fixed? Needed to be pretty forceful to get decent response from them!

Turned out the Unix based phone switch was doing a reset of some type. Phone company, an independent, finally went back to ATT Naperville were the patch for the problem had been published long ago. Never really got this from the phone company but the problem disappeared and sometime later another phone guy told me what was the cause.

Reply to
Michael Slade

The problem here has been resolved. The phone company sent their repairman out to examine the lines and connections serving my home. He found that the service drop from the large phone cable to my house had been chewed by a squirrel. This was up high where the service drop patches into the large cable. The insulation had been damaged to such an extent that the conductors were shorting together intermittently. This was especially bad when the wind was blowing and the service drop was swaying in the breeze.

Reply to
Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.