MDF cross connection block test clips

If you're talking a 110 style cross connect block, the most you're going to get is 25 pair. If so, Siemon used to have a 25pair 110 to go with their 66, but it's gone. I had to get some from a specialty house, but they were available through Anixter.

LINK:

formatting link

James Knott wrote:

Reply to
Justin
Loading thread data ...

Does anyone know of test clips for the 100 pair MDF type cross connection blocks? I've seen some for type 66 blocks, but I'm not sure if they'd be suitable.

tnx jk

Reply to
James Knott

What I'm referring to, is the 100 pair cross connection blocks, used on the main distribution frame in a central office. They're nothing like a 110 block. I suspect the pins may be similar to a 66 block, but as I don't have one handy for comparison, I can't say for certain. The reason I need this, is I'm working on some dslam shelves for an ISP, co-located in a telephone company's offices. One end of the cables are terminated in 32 pair connectors, that plug into the dslam cards, but the other end, are connected to those 100 pair blocks, located on the phone company's frame. The proper clips would make it a lot easier to test the cables.

Reply to
James Knott

hmmm...well the only thing I can think they would be are 66 blocks or binding post (twist on) type. Those I'm not very familiar with other than knowing they exist.

Reply to
Justin

These are fairly large blocks, with 100 pairs of punch down terminals on the front and either wire wrap or connectors for the equipment cables on the back. You'll generally find them only in central offices, where high pair density is desired. On larger frames, they'll be arranged vertically on one side of the frame and horizonally on the other. Smaller frames will usually have only the vertical blocks on one side. When mounted on the frame, they fit right next to one another. They also have a hinged cover. The cross connect wires come out of the side, and travel through rings attached to the frame. The rings are installed on the back or horizontal side of the frame.

Reply to
James Knott

Regular 110 or disconnect 110? Seriously doubt about regular, but for

110-type disconnects AT&T used to have test clip that you could plug into the same slot you took your disconnect divider from. The clips were single pair, but with a little bit of craftiness ;-) you could put 25 of them together. Just joking, you obviously test each pair separately 'cause it's hard to get any useable result for 25 pairs at once without a specialized circuit testing gizmo

OTOH, they made single-pair and 25-pair disconnect blocks, so maybe somewhere in that Western Electric structure there could have existed such gizmo that tested 25 pairs at once. I'm still struggling to understand why you would need such test other than for initial post-installation backbone test.

BTW, if you were looking for a regular 110-block clip, make sure you realize that you cannot plug anything OVER existing cross-connect wire (110 IDC allows only one connection), so you still can only test an empty block/cable that's not in service.

Reply to
Dmitri(Cabling-Design.com

James,

I think I have seen these blocks in a fashion that they have a blue and white checkerboard pattern for counting the pins. I don't recall if a "pair" of pins was one above the other, like a 66 type, or were side by side. In any case you should be able to make up a test cord using something like a Panduit Female disconnect lug. Try searching for this Panduit part number to see it: DNF18-187-C. These lugs are used typically for connecting wires to circuit boards or small batteries like in a security system.

My only other suggestion is to contact the manufacturer of the block to see if they have something available.

------------------------------------- James Knott wrote:

##-----------------------------------------------##

Article posted with Cabling-Design.com Newsgroup Archive

formatting link
no-spam read and post WWW interface to your favorite newsgroup -

comp.dcom.cabling - 2220 messages and counting!

##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
Jgolan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.