Linksys DHCP issue...

All of a sudden the DHCP functionality on my Linksys BEFW11S4 router has quit working. For years I have been using static IP addresses but

2 weeks ago I switched to DSL and configured the router to automatically assign the addresses due to changing DNS server addresses. The router worked flawlessly since the conversion but stopped assigning addresses yesterday. Everything else within the router appears to be working correctly if I assign a static IP address to the clients and then enter the DNS server address listed in the routers configuration that it obtained when it initiated the PPoE communication with my ISP.

I have version 2 of the router running firmware version 1.45. I have reset the router several times to no avail. Linksys has recommended reflashing the firmware?

I am thinking of replacing it with a Linksys WRT54GS router so I can upgrade to the 802.11g standard over a period of time. Does anyone have any opinions on this router?

Reply to
ad_man620
Loading thread data ...

Rick,

Thanks for the info. I posted in the suggested forum and found the FAQ with the preferred DNS servers. If all else fails I'll hard code the DNS servers and use static IP addresses. Thanks again.

Reply to
Adman

I don't know about linksys, but you might find answers from the FAQs and experts at broadbandreports.com, in the linksys forum. They also maintain a list of 'best' DNS servers by ISP, so if you can't resolve the problem, and your ISP is on the list, you can enter fixed DNS IPs in your router.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.