WRT54G Firmware

Does anyone know where I can get older versions of the WRT54G v2.0 firmware?

Reply to
Don Jough
Loading thread data ...

Masochist: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/network/

Get something that works instead:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sigh. I gotta do all the work?

Well, the usual download site at:

formatting link
to be down.

Here's list of alternative firmware:

formatting link
Downloads from LinksysInfo require that you register:
formatting link
Here's a bunch of custom compiles of the Sveasoft firmware:
formatting link
collection of various versions:
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, v3.03.06 is what I wanted.

There's "nothing that works" at this link.

Reply to
Don Jough

Argh. Their domain registration expired on 8/8/05 and it appears their registrar, who runs their authoritative DNS servers, is sitting on the domain for some reason. a.gtld-servers.net returns nothing for wrt54g.com.

whois -h whois.aaaq.com wrt54g.com ... Hostway Whois Server Version 1.0 Domain Name: wrt54g.com Registrar: AAAQ.COM Whois Server: whois.aaaq.com Referral URL:

formatting link
Name Server: ns1.firewired.com Name Server: ns2.firewired.com Status: ACTIVE Updated Date 2004-08-10 Creation Date: 2004-08-08 Expiration Date: 2005-08-08

08/16/05 19:03:34 dns
formatting link
No DNS for this address (host doesn't exist)

It's been down for about a week aparently. Bummer.

Well, ok. Mission accomplished.

It's the joy of open source. Linksys used open source GPL licensed software in their commerical product. That requires making the source available for general consumption. The FSF attorneys reminded Linksys of their responsibilities and they complied by posting the source on their wep pile.

formatting link
week later, the first alternative firmware appeared and the supply hasn't stopped since. Linksys has probably sold more WRT54G routers on the basis of open source firmware, but seems to have forgotten the concept in later products.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I did a bit more work than you might think. It had been down over 24 hours when I responded to your first post. After a 5 minute search, a 5 minute registration process, and another 5 minute search thinking that registering would yield a different result, I reinstalled 3.03.06 and did exactly what I set out to do, dump 4.20.

I had no idea such things exist, looks like I'll be busy for a while.

Thanks for the help! Don ("Dawn" if from NY)

Reply to
Don Jough

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.