Linksys problem

I use Windows Vista Home Basic, and get my internet connection via a LAN to my son's Linksys BEFSR41 downstairs. I occasionally need to shut my computer down for a few hours, and I restart it I find my internet connection is lost. The dianostic error message reads "Connection unplugged". I would appreciate help with this annoying problem!

Reply to
n9ejs
Loading thread data ...

How do you remedy the problem? Is it possible that there is a bad connection on one end of the cable?

Reply to
RBM

Reply to
n9ejs

n9ejs hath wroth:

Ok, the router hangs. Is your BEFW11S4 a version 4 model? Look on the serial number tag.

If so, here is some beta firmware that *MIGHT* solve the hangs. No warranty expressed or implied. Make sure it's a v4 mutation, not one of the others:

Should this convert your BEFW11S4 v4 into a doorstop or smoking ruin, I'll pretend I never even mentioned it and deny all knowledge. On the other hand, if it works, I certainly would be interested as I've been too lazy|busy to try it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No, it's version 2.1

= = = = = =

Reply to
n9ejs

It's not BEFW11S4 - it's BEFSR41 ver 2.1 !

= = = = =

Reply to
n9ejs

n9ejs hath wroth:

Oops(tm). Sorry, I wasn't paying attention. Since this is a

*WIRELESS* usenet group, I assumed you were using a wireless router.

I agree with Mr. RBM. You may have a loose connector or intermittent CAT5 cable connection. Look for chewed (mice, cats, puppy, kids, furniture) cable. Inspect the RJ45 connectors at both ends. The usual is a bad crimp job on the RJ45 plug. You can check for continuity by observing the lights on the RJ45 connector at both ends.

It's also possible to create *internet* connection problems with an MTU mismatch. See article at:

It's unlikely that this is the cause of a "connection lost" message, but might some creative way for Vista to announce that it has lost internet connectivity. It's worth checking. If you're using DSL, the correct MTU is probably 1492 instead of 1500. I would need to know what program is generating the "connection lost" error message to determine if it's referring to the internet connection, or the local wired CAT5 LAN connection.

If that's not the case, there's a few DHCP oddities in Vista. Failure to renew the DHCP lease will cause a similar error after about a day of continuous connection (depends on the DHCP lease time). See:

for a short (but growing) list of Vista DHCP related issues (bugs).

I would also verify that you have the latest firmware in your BEFSR41 v2.1. This might be awkward as the Linksys web pile lists version

2.0, but not 2.1 for the BEFSR4.1. However, the version history shows 2.x, so using the firmware for 2.0 will probably work.

It shows 1.46.2 as the latest as of Aug 2004.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

He could also try this:

formatting link
It's a DSL speed test, but it claims to be able to detect "faulty cables" and other problems. It likes my cables, or so it seems. Needs Java.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Reply to
n9ejs

Jeff Liebermann hath wroth:

Well, after 6 months of doing nothing with this firmware, I finally try it today and find that it doesn't install. Upgrade action is not finish!! Upgrade failed.

Argh. I'll see if I can obtain a later or better version.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On my BEFW11S4 v4 I backed off from a later firmware version (don't remember which) to version 1.50.10 and it seemed to solve the streaming problems and continual need to reset. Currently it is a wireless accesspoint only and seems rock solid for that use. [BEFW11S4 v4 accesspoint only] to [Linksys switch] to [Netopia 2241N DSL modem/router].

Reply to
Plan9

Plan9 hath wroth:

At one point, I went back to 1.50.14, which did NOT solve the hang and reconnection failure problem. However, I didn't try 1.5.10. I'll give it a try. At this point, I have 3 of them, and all are next to useless. However, as I previously mumbled, it't not the wireless section that hangs. It's the router section.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.