Router Dynamic DNS - DHCP Inside and Outside - Newbie help

Hello,

I am still a newbie to Cisco and I am trying to learn about Cisco Routers/IOS. I have a router that I am trying to setup with DHCP on the WAN and LAN side. The problem I am running into is - I can't figure out how to get the DNS info from the WAN (E1) to the LAN (E0). DHCP gives my laptop an IP address (192.168.1.10), subnet (255.255.255.0), and gateway (192.168.1.1), but I don't get the DNS addresses on the WAN or LAN. When I plug straight into the network with my laptop I get everything I need and can surf. So, I guess the question is - How do I get the WAN which is DHCP to get an address, subnet, gateway, and dns info and pass that info thru to the LAN? I hope this makes sence as I am trying to learn all of the terminology.

Thank you in advance,

Daniel

Reply to
indydano
Loading thread data ...

Not easily done with Cisco IOS. Linsys boxes do it automatically.

What router and IOS version are you using.

Reply to
Merv

Hi - Thanks for the response.

I have a Cisco 831 running c831-k9o3y6-mz.124-5.bin

Do you have any suggestions - My ISP wants me to use DHCP (sticky IP). Can I set the router WAN interface as DHCP and assign static DNS addresses?

Thanks again... I'm glad it isn't easy - I've spent almost 2 full days working on this problem...

Reply to
indydano

What is the access technology that your ISP is providing ?

Please post your current config

Reply to
Merv

Assuming that the E1 does get DNS addresses, you can check by closely inspecting the clues in "debug dhcp detail", and I think the "show host" command will also display the nameserver addresses you have got, then in the DHCP pool on the router you put the "import all" command, i.e.

! ip dhcp pool FOO network 192.168.1.0 /24 default-router 192.168.1.1 import all !

Reply to
Martin Gallagher

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.