SHDSL?

Hello.

Has anyone used this SHDSL? I am about 20K ft. from the CO. Verizon told me that I can get SHDSL which is like a business type of DSL. However, it is very expensive. Is anyone using this at home who cannot get cable modem and regular DSL?

I would like to know how this is set up. Does it use phone lines? I already have two lines: one for voice; second is for Dial-up and Fax machine.

Thank you in advance. :)

Reply to
ANTant
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
David H. Lipman

Being 20Kft from the C.O. is going to probably disqualify you from SHDSL as well. Even if somehow you *do* qualify, my guess is that you'll only qualify for the lowest speeds (192K or maybe 384K). At that distance, you're probably on loaded cable anyway.

*ALL* flavors of xDSL are affected by distance from the DSLAM. And *NONE* will work over loaded cable.

Good luck, but I rather doubt that you'll qualify.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing

For some reason I thought that SHDSL could use in-line signal conditioners or amplifiers to extend the distance somewhat like ISDN. I could be wrong or miss-informed.

Reply to
slim stick

I was told that whichever form Verizontal uses here in DC [and I

*think* that's HADSL...] for DS-1 had repeaters available....

But I note they still deploy T-1 [2 pairs w/ 6Kft repeater spacing] in some cases.

Reply to
David Lesher

I think that: HDSL => High speed DSL SHDSL => Synchronous HDSL

which means you're dealing with DSL distance limits.

Reply to
David Ross

It may very weel be that SHDSL can be provisioned using some kind of repeater. Signals that are symmetrical do lend themselves to being repeatered.

I suppose it will all depend on the service. If the SHDSL offering is a business class offering with term commitments and service level agreements then they may actually take the time to engineer repeaters into it. On the other hand, if it's just a gussied up ADSL offering at a low price, then maybe not.

Let's not confuse xDSL with T-1 offerings. They are two *completely* different things.

There are very few of the old style T-1's (conditioned copper circuits with repeaters every 6Kft) around anymore.

Many T-1's are now delivered over fiber, using either T-2 multiplexers or SONET OC-3 (or higher) Multiplexers. Some are a hybrid of fiber (to a remote terminal) and copper to the customer premesis. That last few thousand feet is deployed using HSDL (High bitrate DSL) technology from companies like Adtran and Pairgain. It has *nothing* to do with the DSL were're talikng about in this group. It's a different way of encoding the T-1 signal onto the copper that requires much less conditioning of the copper than before. You can also go much further before repeaters are required. But these are DESIGNED and ENGINEERED circuits with telco provided equipment at the end (smartjack). Not DSL for home use, two completely different animals.

John

Reply to
John P. Dearing
2BASE-TL -- IEEE Std 802.3ah-2004

Wow, that's new to me I'll have to read up on that standard !

Reply to
David H. Lipman

SHDSL (ITU-T Recommendation G.991.2) can indeed be repeatered. This is also true for the derived Ethernet standard 2BASE-TL (IEEE Std 802.3ah-2004), although it is not explicit in the standard.

Michael (remove filter from email address)

--

formatting link

Reply to
Michael

conditioners

SHDSL is 'Single-Pair High-speed Digital Subscriber Line' (according to ITU-T Rec. G.991.2), so it's indeed a member of the DSL family. Just like any other transmission technology, it has distance limitations (due to signal attenuation, noise, cross-talk from adjacent binders). You may need to use multiple pairs or repeaters to get SHDSL out to the distance you mentioned.

Michael (remove filter from email address)

--

formatting link

Reply to
Michael

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.