DSL and 2-line phones

We have two 2-line phones in our office, each on their own cable. Either phone can obviously utilize either line-1 or line-2. We just got DSL activated today on one of the lines. Now, I'm not new to computers or networking but I am new to DSL.

I cannot get the DSL to work. I assume this is because DSL requires its own line. Are there special 2-line adapters or filters that allows the DSL to work over one of the lines? I called Verizon tech support twice and spoke to two different people but, surprise!, said they didn't know. Thanks.

-- Splat

Reply to
Splat
Loading thread data ...

Exactly what isn't working? The phone service or the DSL service? If you have DSL on only one line why would you need to filter two lines? Do you have an alarm system that uses one of those lines?

Reply to
Roland

The DSL isn't working. We already have (2) 2-line phones and I believe that's what the problem is. I think I have to run a seperate line from the NID off one of the lines directly to the DSL modem. I think that's the only way the DSL will work.

-- Splat

Roland wrote:

Reply to
Splat

The problem is that the filters the telco supplies with the DSL service "start-up package" are designed for single line phones. You are right that it will be easier to get things work correctly if you run a dedicated DSL cable to one jack. To do this, install a DSL filter at the NID. Connect the cable that leads to the DSL modem to the NID. Connect the other cables to the filter. Your problems should go away.

BTW, if you have 3-pair wiring (common in homes and offices built in the last 20 years or so), you can run the DSL on the third pair to every jack. That way if you decide to move the DSL modem later it will be a snap. I've seen people do that using 3-position wall plates.

For example, you can do something like this... Top: Line 1 (Voice) Middle: Line 2 Filtered (Voice) Bottom: Line 2 Unfiltered (DSL)

Best of luck.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.