Westel Link Light???

Modem: Westel Wirespeed C90-36R516-01 Router: Netgear FVX538 Prosafe Firewall

The LINK light on my modem that connects to my router will blink off and then on once for no apparent reason. That "blink" causes short pauses on my system when working over Citrix. When I type an e-mail it can take 10 to 20 seconds for the system to "catch-up" and show the letters I was typing. Sometimes it's only 1 to 5 seconds of delay time.

We've replaced the modem twice, tried a different router, and used two different cables, both new. Verizon says that the line checks out OK and detects no problems.

What could cause the modem LINK light to blink?

Thanks-

Reply to
Tom C.
Loading thread data ...

See every single post in which I talk about DSL wiring. You should have a high-quality splitter as close to where the DSL line is handed to you by the phone company as possible. The only thing that line should go to is the splitter -- it should connect to *no* house phone wiring. The modem connection on the splitter should be connected only to the modem and by high-quality wiring specifically for this purpose -- no house phone wiring. You can then connect the phone output of the splitter to your house phone wiring.

It is critical that the phone line that is handed to you from the phone company connect directly to the splitter's input. It is critical that the splitter's DSL output be connected directly to the DSL modem. Nothing else should be in, on, or near these connections. With a good splitter, nothing that happens to, from, or on the 'phone out' connection should be able to affect your DSL.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

On Tue, 4 Oct 2005 20:48:54 -0700, "David Schwartz" wrote Re Re: Westel Link Light???:

Any suggested on-line source for such a splitter?

Reply to
Vic Dura

Expect to spend between $20 and $40 for an indoor splitter, and if you want to mount the splitter outdoors between $40 and $90. I've used the indoor splitter on this link

formatting link
in several installations and have been 100% happy with it. I especially like this one because it has both jacks and screws for all three connections. (If you're using both for either the line or modem connection, you're doing something wrong.)

If you're in an apartment or commercial building, it's especially important to locate the splitter as close to the demarc as possible. Alternatively, make sure there's a high-quality cable between the demarc and your splitter. For the installation at my store, I used the old crappy phone wire to pull a new piece of category 5 wire from the phone junction box to my phone panel.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

On Wed, 5 Oct 2005 12:23:24 -0700, "David Schwartz" wrote Re Re: Westel Link Light???:

Thanks for the info.

Reply to
Vic Dura

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.