DSL Filters

Hello I just ordered DSL I got the Install Kit. and i have a questinon abut the Filters... I have a filter with a DSL Jack and a Phone Jack on it. I am obiosly going to plug the DSL into the DSL Jack, However my question is can i use a standard phone spilter in the "phone" jack on the filter. So i can hook up my TIVO and and my Phone on the same Outlet?

Also WIll This effect my Connection in ANY way?

Reply to
Kimmyob
Loading thread data ...

I do this and have not had problems. However as I said in another thread, I had some problems attempting to use one filter for all the phones in my house. For that you need a dedicated DSL splitter, installed at the demarc. But using the conventional filters, I have had a phone, answering machine, ReplayTV and fax modem hanging off one filter with one of those multi-phone-outlet things from the 99 cent store and haven't had problems.

Reply to
Desert Tripper

The filter is a low-pass to the Phone Jack that removes the DSL carrier so the phone line equipment doesn't receive it; it also minimizes any high-frequency transients that the phone equipment may generate to the line. With any filter, there is a limit to the number of loads it will support, but modern phones and other devices have very small load factors, so connecting multiple devices to the phone jack shouldn't be a problem.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

How Far do you think that GOes? I mean i cam put about 3 feet from my monitor and about 5 feet from my TV between my modem. plus theres is a wood wall thats part of my desk that seperates it.

Reply to
Kimmyob

You seem to have had a successful dsl installation ..... maybe you can put me on the right track.

I don't have a DSL splitter and live in an apartment with only 2 wall phone boxes.

Can I put a plain old 99 cent splitter from the first line out of the box, then run 1 line direct to my modem. Into the other side of the cheap splitter, insert a dsl filter and then phone lines and cheap splitters to a phone, phone answering machine on to a second phone?

The 2nd wall phone box would have a dsl filter and only serve i phone.

Do you think this will work?

Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

It should work, but your DSL connection will be at the mercy of the wiring in your apartment to your phone jacks. If that wiring is high quality, and the jacks are in good shape, you should be fine. If not, you will lose performance.

If you are very serious about your network access, this is not an acceptable solution. If you will be happy if it works and don't care about the best possible setup, then see if it works.

DS

Reply to
David Schwartz

Other than my moving are there other ways I can bring my proposal up to "standard"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Other than my moving are there other ways I can bring my proposal up to "standard"?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

The BEST installation, performance-wise, is a splitter at the box where the phone line enters the building, with a 'home run' line run to a jack for the modem, and the existing wiring connecting to the phone output of the splitter, as D. Schwartz implies. That way you're sure to get a quality wire from the entry point to your modem. You'll have to talk to your building manager to get permission for this, though. Your connection will probably work; you want the best quality duplex adapter you can find - one that fits securely into the wall jack. Or, you can get a duplex jack at the hardware store and replace the single output with it; that way you don't have to depend on the adapter to make a good connection. Just be prepared to put the old one back if/when you move out.

Reply to
Rick Wintjen

Thanks very much Rick. You tell it in a way I can understand and make sense of!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Yes of course!

No, of course not!

Reply to
John S.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.