DSL splitters: Siecor SPS-H50-SR1 too expensive??

The price for the Siecor SPS-H50-SR1 outdoor DSL splitter went up from $35 ($48 total with T&S&H) to $62 ($75 total with T&S&H), despite being assembled in Mexico last time I got one. Are there equivilently good quality alternatives for far less cost?

LONG VERSION (unnecessary to read):

In one particular location, at one point, I got the Rolls-Royce of DSL splitters for my line (Siecor SPS-H50-SR1). It had 6016kbps/608kbps DSL at the time, and worked great with good SNR and other stats, using a 2nd line. I switched DSL to the main line later with

1500kbps/384kbps with a different ISP (reasons unrelated to this message), using the same DSL splitter, circuit and modem for that, but don't know the recent statistics for the main line, which undoubtedly had to be moved from the CO to the RT. Later than that, I got a 3rd line and put DSL on that, at only 1500kbps/384kbps, with a hodge podge of cabling and weak splitters. I only recently checked the stats for the 3rd line, and it is barely good enough in one direction (relcap 24% at 1500kbps when I want 6016kbps) and sucks in the other (relcap 95% at 384kbps when I want 768kbps). I currently have two DSLs at that location, and one is to be upgraded.

So, now I want to clean up the connection that is going to be upgraded. I already know how (I think), but when going out to get the splitters, I ran into some trouble (money).

Temporarily, I may just swap the stuff (circuits, modems, locations, splitters, etc.) for the two DSL lines (from the demarc to their respective nets) so that I can just bypass this annoyance, and/or just plug the 2nd line (the one to be upgraded with currently bad stats) DSL modem in directly to the (customer side of the) AT&T demarc/NID/box without POTS connection, and instruct the residents how to make outgoing voice calls via Skype or something instead of the 2nd POTS line, but for a more permanent solution, I have some questions.

I previously obtained the Siecor Outdoor DSL Splitter / Filter SPS-H50-SR1 from Hippo Wholesale for $35+stuff= $47.67 total, now installed in the above configuration in the main line. I checked, and now they have it listed at $62, so + stuff would equal about $74.67 total. The price raise of $27 sucks, especially for a part assembled in Mexico (last time), so I am interested in alternatives.

I'll start with their listing, since it has some curious stuff in it:

Keptel TA 230 ADSL Splitter $17.45

Brand New Keptel TA 230 ADSL Splitter. This Keptel splitter is designed to "split" the data signal from the voice signal ... signal so it doesn't interfere with the conversation. With the TA-230 Splitter device installed, there is no need for the indoor filters which ... system, your data is running throughout the entire inside wiring. With a splitter mounted at the phone box, you are isolating data to a particular ...

[my comment: cheap. decent?] Siecor Outdoor DSL Splitter / Filter SPS-H50-SR1 $62.00

This splitter is designed to "split" the data signal from the voice signal ... system, your data is running throughout the entire inside wiring. With a splitter mounted at the phone box, you are isolating data to a particular ...

[what I have. outrageous price, unless there's something I don't know about it.] Siecor POTS DSL Splitter SPS-H70-SR1 $47.00

The standard for DSL splitters, Siecor SPS-H70-SR1. This splitter is designed to "split" the data signal from the voice signal ... system, your data is running throughout the entire inside wiring. With a splitter mounted at the phone box, you are isolating data to a particular ...

[Notice the lower price, and higher model number. Unknown differences.]

My DSL ISP contract goes monthly in November, which is when I will be upgrading, so I have until then to work on this problem.

Reply to
Brad Allen
Loading thread data ...

I have twice used the indoor type telco provided filter at the demarc. I used a short modular cord and two jacks to wire it in series with all of the house phones. The DSL modem has a dedicated IW just for the modem.

One demarc was indoors in a condo, the other was in a covered carport in a plastic bag.

Price = $0

Reply to
Cubit

Sorta. The Siecor splitter: |

formatting link
really nicely built. I'll guess(tm) that it has an overkill 6 pole low pass filter. (The high pass section is straight through). Also fuses and two protectors. Can't ask for much more.

The Keptel splitter uses an LPF-200 device: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
at the specs, it's not as good as the Siecor, but more than adequate for todays DSL lines. I would say it's a good substitute.

I've been using these instead of the Siecor. They're not a pretty, but they work well enough on marginal lines (my main application). I think I paid $20 including the outdoor case and MPOE mounting adapter. See me if you want one.

Short version. Corning bought Siecor and raised prices.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There are a bunch of Siecor SPS-H70-SR1 filters on eBay ... similar model. They range from $20-$35 plus shipping. Don't know the difference in specs between these models, but it should be easy to research.

Brad Allen wrote:

Reply to
Michael Conley

The only difference I've found in DSL filters is that some will saturate on lines with excessive off-hook current. The symptom is that your DSL goes away when you pick up the phone. Otherwise any L-C filter design seems to work very well with normal currents.

The biggest threat to 6016/608 ADSL is untwisted wire in junction boxes. It mutes the higher frequencies and it picks up AM radio stations. Re-twisting several inches of loose wire boosted my downstream S/N by

10dB.
Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

Occasionally I have to enter telcom closets in medium to large commercial buildings and have seen many abandoned Siecor splitters. I don't do wiring so I don't have the need but many comm/wire techs "recycle" these parts and would probably get you one gratis.

Regards, David

Reply to
DMF

I had one of these go t*ts-up last week. It developed a short in the telco end of the filter. I grabbed this one as an abandoned filter in a telco closet. I'm using a a cheapo indoor filter right now and will be cruising closets for more abandoned Siecor filters.

Reply to
Julian Macassey

See the 3 terminal "TO-92 like" black device located between the two foozes at the left in this photo?

formatting link
's some kind of double diode zener protector. They like to short and sometimes blow the line foozes. Rip it out and use the filter without the protector until you can steal a replacement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks for the tip. I note that the PCB in the photo says "CORNING".

I was going to rip mine apart and troubleshoot it, but replaced it the a cheapo consumer grade filter in the meantime.

The Covad guys carry these filters in their trucks, which may be another "cheap" source.

Reply to
Julian Macassey

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 01:33:02 GMT, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

formatting link
|
formatting link
Looking at the specs, it's not as good as the Siecor, but more than

I respectfully disagree -- I've had a number of problems with Keptel splitters that were solved by switching to Siecor. Old PacBel DSL techs considered the Keptel to be a PoS.

Reply to
John Navas
[Sonic.dsl deleted because Newsguy complains that it doesn't exist]

John Navas hath wroth:

Well, up until today, I would have said that I've had no problems with Keptel DSL splitters. However, I did a service call today[1] and found that the problem was a defective Keptel splitter. It had a low resistance "short" across the line end of the low pass filter which looked like an off hook to Ma Bell. I replaced it with an identical Keptel filter. The one that died lasted 5 years, so I can't really complain (much).

[1] Yes, I work on Sundays with the proper incentives. I got to borrow a nifty network analyzer for a few weeks. All I have to do is fix it. Hmmmm... maybe not such a great incentive.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I got mine gratis by sweet-talking the ASI tech.

Bill "and another by the 'abandoned' method" Turlock

Reply to
Bill Turlock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.