DSL splitter technical question

I am preparing for DSL, and have just added a Corning DSL pots splitter where my service enters the house. The splitter has a Voice and a Data output. The incoming went to the Network terminals. The existing house phone wiring went to the Voice, and, from the Data terminals, I ran a separate phone wire to a jack by my computer. Then, to see its effects, I plugged in my modem (56k)to that DSL jack.

Here is where the confusion arises. My computer modem actually connected to my ISP at a slower speed than before. I did not expect that result. I tried dialing over and over. When I plugged it back into the normal (original) phone jack, it returned to its previous 'fast' speed. Then, to prove my cable run was OK, I reconnected the new DSL cable also to the Voice terminals at the splitter. Presto - my speed was back on that DSL jack. Thus, using the Data output caused the slow down. What will happen when high speed DSL is connected? Any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
nc_flyfisher
Loading thread data ...

Uh, don't do that. A modem uses the same frequencies as voice. ALL voice devices MUST be behind a filter. ONLY the DSL device should be on the bare wire.

Reply to
wkearney99

I am not surprised. Analog (56k) modems are a voice service, use voice frequencies (0.1-3 kHz) designed to pass through telco voice channelizations (FDM/digitilization).

DSL uses _much_ higher frequencies (50-1000 kHz). The taps on the splitter are set to mostly let the appropriate frequencies through.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert Redelmeier

Fine, it is working like expected. The modem should not work at all!

The splitter POTS side gives a signal which is to be used by phones and normal modems at low frequencies.

The splitter DSL side gives only(!) the high frequencies.

In Europe we all have these splitters. In the US often "filters" are used for the POTS lines and the DSL modem is directly connected to the wire. The a modem MAY also work there.

Wolfgang

Reply to
Wolfgang Barth

Now I understand more. I finally found the specs, and see that the data side is indeed through a high pass filter. I guess there is enough leakage to allow the low frequency dial up signal to come through - but low reliability slowed the apparent rate. Makes sense - and verified that everything is working. Thanks for all the input!!

wkearney99 wrote:

Reply to
nc_flyfisher

I suspect that is true. However, I conclude that mine must be hi-pass, since the connect rate is different than without the filter. In fact, I expected to get the parallel type, since many schematics I saw showed the connections that way. But, obviously, not all are.

Reply to
nc_flyfisher

I suspect that is true. However, I conclude that mine must be hi-pass, since the connect rate is different than without the filter. In fact, I expected to get the parallel type, since many schematics I saw showed the connections that way. But, obviously, not all are. I wonder what the advantage is fof the extra filter.

Reply to
nc_flyfisher

not all splitter filters are a high pass filter for the data side. some are just paralelled with the input...

Reply to
Roeland Th. Jansen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.