Insteon RF SDK

Smarthome has announced release of a $500 RF Development Kit for Insteon.

formatting link
Given that the RF protocol is fully specified in published documentation, I think a $23 programmable Radiotronix 902-928MHz FSK transceiver (Mouser

509-WIM900X) and the MCU of your choice can probably do the same thing while avoiding the inane restrictions of their license.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Good Day All,

Dave I have to agree, though I don't use the Insteon protocol.

All of the temperature monitoring in my home is done with RF. Its simple, clean and not connected to any specific protocol. In the end it does tie to my Homeseer server, but thats not hard to convert.

There are a great deal of nice simple transceivers on the market for people to experiment with. And of course if you don't need two way communications, it gets easier still. My temperature circuits don't need two way comms so I used the simple little Laipac units.

If you did want some sort of central control point to control remotely an RF modem would do the job. You can expand that to an ethernet wireless type connection and really have a good old time. More and more of my friends and family are installing, or having me install wireless hubs and routers in their homes.

This makes for a solid foundation for home automation. Units like SitePlayer, and Xport to name a few make the transistion less costly and save a great amount of development time and money. My experiments in RF, and ehternet controlls is slow but I have made some good progress in shaping my world.

Ta Da Brad

Reply to
Brad

Brad,

I've been do>Good Day All,

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Wow Dave,

Yaa, the SitePlayer people kinda pissed me off awhile back. I love the web part of site player. I had mine setup to broadcast UDP packets to my HomeSeer. It worked well then the SitePlayer would stop talking. At first I thought it was my circuit or code. Then after reading on the SItePlayer forum I found that the issue was with SitePlayer code. Well I didn't feel doing hardware resets every few minutes was a good option. So I just use my SitePlayers for Web access to different parts of my house.

I purchased an Xport, and behind that a 16f628 and hit hits every time. As a matter of fact Since I completed the first circuit and powered it up, I have yet to have to reset the unit. Very stable.

Now I am building an Xport with a 16f877 behind it for my RF sprinkler system. A friend of mine who is a solor power expert is building the power source. So next spring I hope to have 3 small, 4 station sprinkler headers that are solor powered and commanded by RF. I own a small ranch in Nevada and irrigation of my property can take quite a while to get done, by hand.

Its nice to connect up with someone working on the same ideas and issues. I looked at your Tibbo EM202. It looks like a nice unit, TCP, UDP are my big buzz words right now. I don't really want any of my internal ip devices exposed off of my lan right now. My HomeSeer is exposed but nothing else is allowed off of my intranet.

Besides its bad enough when my servers at work call me on my cell, to tell me they are having issues. But having some device at home sending me emails, ("I don't think so") I am the master, I know were the power buttons are.

I also played around with that X10 Rf protocol for a while. I found it to be alittle bulky and long as far as a serial stream goes. All I send for example is "128, 128, 128" for syncing then "House, Unit, Data" then let the receiver do all of the conversions to "hs.setdevice(house,unit,data)" and then send it to homeseer via my ethernet. I am very impressed with the exicution speeds I get over my lan compared to X10, and collisions on X10 are a thing of the past.

The 5v supply on the Tibbo EM202 is a real nice touch. 3.3v, well a couple of well placed zeners and a new regulator on my boards wasen't to bad. But I think I may try one of the Tibbo EM202s and see what I can do with it. If I get in a jam, I hope youll be around..

Ta Da Brad

license.http://www.davehouston.nethttp://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/roZetta/> snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Brad

Brad,

For the time being, I'm only using the EM202 with their Virtual COM Port. I plan to write my own applications later but that's still down the road a bit.

One problem is with the way Tibbo organized their (copious) documentation. It has lots and lots of embedded links but I find it hard to follow in a linear step-by-step way.

BTW, are your 1132Bs the newer style (white case, passthrough outlet) or the orig> The 5v supply on the Tibbo EM202 is a real nice touch. 3.3v, well a

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Back atcha Dave,

My PowerLincs are gray with Pass throughs.

BTW. I looked at the schemo you posted. I may be able to lower the sensitivity a bit on the powerlinc.

What really looked interesting though was the Elk schemo, getting your zero cross and data stream from a 12v coil really makes isolating the 120khz signal easy. I never thought of that.

Ta Da Brad

around..

formatting link

Reply to
Brad

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.