Traceroute over verizon - What changed ?

From an XP desktop via a linksys box and Verizon DSL to my appliation server, I used to be able to use the pathping command to do a traceroute with packet-dropped rates, per hop.

In the last few weeks, this either stops at my router or all the intermediate hops don't tell me anything.

It looks like Verizon has turned ICMP off. I've not changed anything from my linksys router and upstream

What changed?

pathping panix5.panix.com

Tracing route to panix5.panix.com [166.84.1.5] over a maximum of 30 hops: 0 minimoby [192.168.1.100] 1 * * * Computing statistics for 25 seconds... Source to Here This Node/Link Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address 0 minimoby [192.168.1.100] 100/ 100 =100% | 1 --- 100/ 100 =100% 0/ 100 = 0% minimoby [0.0.0.0]

Trace complete.

tracert panix5.panix.com

Tracing route to panix5.panix.com [166.84.1.5] over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 * * * Request timed out. 2 * * * Request timed out. 3 * * * Request timed out. 4 * * * Request timed out. 5 * * * Request timed out. 6 * * * Request timed out. 7 * * * Request timed out. 8 * * * Request timed out. 9 27 ms 27 ms 27 ms panix5.panix.com [166.84.1.5]

Trace complete.

Reply to
Al Dykes
Loading thread data ...

You sure you didn't upgrade the firmware in your unidentified Linksys router? This sounds like a problem they keep reinventing in their firmware...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Nope. This router says it's firmware is 1.42.7, Apr 2. 2002. It's a BEFSR41 v2 that's never been upgraded.

ISTM that this tracert/pathping problem has come and gone over the last year but it seems to be solid now. All I can think of is that the box has been power cycled occasionally due to utility power problems.

Thanks.

Reply to
Al Dykes

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.