DSL Pro

Smaller bits???

LB

Reply to
LB
Loading thread data ...

They likely upgraded the hardware at their end. The pro package is also offered to customers as much as 17,000 feet from the co (using rt).

Also, will I be able to

I doubt it. You could probably get a new modem for free if you tell them you are willing to sign up for a full year.

First tier doesn't know, sales makes it up. Ask in the sbc groups on

formatting link
and the actual sbc tier 2 techs may have definitive answers for you. They may ask for your dsl number, but it will be in a private group that only they and you would be able to view.

Reply to
Kay Archer

I have had DSL service at home here in southern California since it first became available about six years ago. Over that time the price has dropped each year and now I am paying $26.95 a month which is about half what it cost when I first got the service. Since I got the service when it first came out, I have a static IP address because that's what they gave everyone back then. Now they use dynamic addresses unless you pay considerably more for a static address. Obviously I would like to keep my static IP. My modem is an Alcatel 1000 ADSL which I have had since day one.

I received a notice from SBC DSL offering to upgrade my service to what they are calling "DSL Pro" which they say will double my connection speeds in both directions. My download speed now is about 1270 and doubling it would be fantastic, but I have some questions. If anyone could tell me, I would be interested in knowing how they can do this because I thought the limiting factor for speed was the line length (which is about 9,500ft in my case). Since the line length hasn't changed and they tell me I won't need to change my modem, how are they able to double the speed? Also, will I be able to keep my static IP address if I upgrade?

Incidentally, I have already asked SBC these questions but they were unable to provide adequate answers.

Thanks,

--Jim

Reply to
James Watkins

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.