New "DSL Pro" offer from SBC

I just received an offer to upgrade to SBC Yahoo "DSL Pro" at a good price. (see:

formatting link
Please note that I am still on "original Pacbell-style DSL" and I have never upgraded to SBC Yahoo DSL.

I don't care about any new features and I certainly don't want to install any special software if I convert to SBC Yahoo DSL Pro -- all I want is internet connectivity.

Any pitfalls in converting at this point?

Any advice/warnings for me?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Floyd
Loading thread data ...

Both the 5100b and 2wire modems have pppoe built in - no need for software other than a Java enabled browser to setup.

Reply to
Kay Archer
Reply to
Neil W Rickert

In ba.internet Floyd wrote: : I just received an offer to upgrade to SBC Yahoo "DSL Pro" at a good : price. (see:

formatting link
: Please note that I am still on "original Pacbell-style DSL" and I have : never upgraded to SBC Yahoo DSL.

: I don't care about any new features and I certainly don't want to : install any special software if I convert to SBC Yahoo DSL Pro -- all : I want is internet connectivity.

: Any pitfalls in converting at this point?

If you're not using PPPoE today, it's likely you'd get migrated to it. You can get true bridged Ethernet from other providers, including Sonic.net, and skip the PPP shim driver software.

: Any advice/warnings for me?

Consider shopping around - for a similar price, you can get service from the highest rated service provider.

Some resources:

formatting link

Reply to
Dane Jasper

Thanks for all the input.

I'm already on PPPoE using an "antique" Alcatel 1000 bridge...I was one of the first customers in my area to get DSL. My router handles the PPPoE connection for me so I don't feel I need a new bridge. However, if I am offered a new one, should I take it? Is 5+ years on an Alcatel 1000 too long, i.e., is it due to fail?

I also have a dynamic IP and I've never felt the need to have a static IP.

I don't have a lot of choices in my zip code (93401). I reviewed dsl reports and I believe most of the competition around here costs more and uses SBC's infrastructure anyway. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Does anyone reading this have DSL Pro? If so, what upload/download speeds are you getting?

Thanks again, Mark

Reply to
Floyd

I migrated over a year ago and still have my legacy pacbell website with

13MB of stuff in it. My understanding is that those who set up pacbell websites before migration can keep them.
Reply to
TaxMan

I believe you can request a new modem when renewing a contract (which should only be something like $12 shipping). The 5100b should work fine, which gives you a choice of having it do PPPoE, or allowing your PC or router to handle it (for more control).

I migrated to SBC Yahoo long ago, because technically the old SBC TOS only allowed you 1 connection at a time. SBC Yahoo allows 1 DSL and 1 dialup simultaniously. So when I am in California, I can dialup and connect to my home DSL in Illinois (using no-ip.com dynamic DNS).

You do not need any special software. I registered and configured my boss' SBC Yahoo DSL using 5100b without even opening the CD (per faq at

formatting link
). I typically use Linux for pppoe/firewall/router, and Linux apps for SBC mail and news.

I could see no downside to migrating, unless you have one of the old pacbell websites (SBC Yahoo free web hosting is Geocities).

I am probably too far out for Pro (almost 12,000'), but typically 85% of sync rate (due to overhead) if your lines are good.

Reply to
David Efflandt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.