Dynamic IP Address

You shouldn't really notice any significant difference.

Be glad to help out however I can.

I believe that SBC requires PPPoE, and thus you would need to log on with your username and password. At least that's how the dynamic IP setup is with my friend's computer.

Either use the software they provide, configure your computer to automatically transmit that information (some do, I'm not sure about all OS'), or get a $50 NAT router/firewall (i.e. a Linksys router) that will do it automatically.

I believe so.

I believe SBC only assigns new IP addresses whenever you log off and back on again.

I believe that Windows XP Pro can do it, but I'm not 100% sure -- I'm a Mac user.

That said, having a Windows machine directly connected to the internet is an Extremely Unwise Idea(tm), what with the large number of viruses, worms, and other vulnerabilities inherent in Windows. A $50 NAT box would serve you well.

I suspect that it will work nearly as transparently as it does right now, even more so if you get a NAT box to automatically enter the login/password whenever you use your network connection. If you're not presently logged onto SBC's network, it may take up to five seconds or so to log on, after which there should be no delays until the connection is idle for long enough to disconnect.

Cheers!

Reply to
Pete Stephenson
Loading thread data ...

I've worked with a couple of SBC DSL connections and I don't think you'll see any difference (unless DSL Pro is faster). The DHCP negotiation is between your DSL interface and SBC's DHCP server - you shouldn't see anything. I don't know what the renewal time is, but I seem to remember it is around 24 hours, so DHCP would try to renew in 12 hours. You frequently/almost always get the same address after the renewal, but that should make no difference.

Reply to
Erik Freitag

Ah, excellent.

I run a Mac-and-Linux shop here and refuse to do anything with Windows. Still, that's nice that they're including PPPoE now.

Reply to
Pete Stephenson

WinXP will work fine and you don't need any SBC software. You really ought to have a router though. It can also handle the logging in transparently and provides a certain level of protection from outside probes. Both a straight WinXP and router connection will make things work the same as they do now.

I had static addresses for years, but finally gave them up about a year ago. There was no need for a static address when I moved the web stuff to a web hosting company.

If you decide you ever do need access to your home machine, dynamic IPs don't usually change that often. You can just use the IP address or sign up for one of the free dyndns services.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

They do, but WinXP provides native support for it. Once the connection is set up, no further operator action is required.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Not even that often. A relative uses SBC and their IP rarely changes.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

It appears that in order to upgrade my SBC DSL speed to the DSL Pro package, I will have to give up the static IP address I have had for the past 5 years. I have no experience with a dynamic IP address. I don't really need the static address since I am not running any kind of server, but I do have some questions about the dynamic IP setup. Do you have to log on whenever you need to access the internet or is it always on and transparent the way my static IP is? Will it time out after some period of no traffic requiring some action to re-establish the connection? How often is a new IP address assigned, daily, weekly, hourly? Do I need to use SBC software or can I configure Windows XP Pro to operate without any of their software? The main thing I want to know is whether from a users point of view there will be any noticeable differences in how my internet connection works. Ideally it would be absolutely transparent like it is now with a static IP.

Thanks,

--Jim

Reply to
James Watkins
Reply to
Neil W Rickert

Depends on which modem you use, the current 5100b and HomePortal modems stay connected all the time. Older modems depend on software on the computer to authenticate.

Will it time out after some period of no traffic requiring

No. Or only if you disconnect.

How often is a new IP address

"As often as every 4 hours." Your mileage may vary.

Do I need to use SBC software or can I

The current modems (see above) only require a Java enabled browser to set them up.

The main

Probably no difference (once you are setup)

P.S., as a previously Static customer changing to Dynamic, only Tier 2 support should help you with the changeover.

Reply to
Kay Archer

"Clark W. Griswold, Jr." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I have SBC and I get a different address every time I establish a connection. Maybe it depends on where in the country you are.

Reply to
Some One

I have been using Linux for SBC dynamic PPPoE for years. You only get a new IP if you are dropped or disconnect. If you set idle 0 for ppp options (or whatever PPPoE to not disconnect) it will remain connected until dropped. The current 5100b by default acts as modem/router (which automatically connects as needed), but you can change that to do your own PPPoE.

I use no-ip.com for dynamic DNS and run their Unix update client from /etc/ppp/ip-up (which runs automatically whenever pppd gets an IP).

The best place for assistance is SBC and other forums on

formatting link
alias
formatting link

Reply to
David Efflandt

It depends on how long you stay connected. If you shut down the connection every night, you will get a new IP address every time you get a new connection. Some people don't disconnect every night. My router status includes the following information:

Connection Time 101:30:58

That's four days, five hours, thirty-one minutes; more or less. I wouldn't leave a Windows computer directly connected when I wasn't at the console; and it would have a software firewall in place before I connected. I am not so worried about my router.

Reply to
NormanM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.