Keep losing my connection..need help from you experts!!

I have a DSL connection with a Linksys WRTG54G router (with the latest firmware). I keep getting disconnected, most of the time I have to power cycle the router and then it works fine. I've tried diffrent channels, contacted Linksys support, they can't help me, keep telling me my router is a deffective one, which is the 2nd one I've gone through so I don't think thats the case. I've tried a 10.0.0.x ip address, still the same. Set up the router to keep alive 30 sec.

I had the router upstairs, moved it downstairs, same problem. Personnaly I don't think it's a wireless issue as well because I lose connection on the wired computer. I had a D-link router, had connection problems, tried it at my gf's house, no problems there (also has a DSL connection with same settings that I had). My friend has the same problem as I have, except he has a cable connection.

When I connect dirrectly to the computer I don't have a problem, so that leaves my ISP out of the question. Am I really that unlucky that I've had 2 defective routers? I use WPA personal security could that be the issue??

Let me know what you guys think.

Mike

Reply to
mikeleblanc19
Loading thread data ...

On 29 Apr 2007 07:37:35 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

What does "disconnected" mean EXACTLY? If your DSL going down? Is the router locking up? What does the wireless icon show in the System Tray?

Again, what does "lose the connection" mean EXACTLY? Does the icon show cable disconnected? Is the router locking up?

Probably not.

Probably not.

I take a wild guess that you're running peer-to-peer filesharing, which is opening up so many connections that your router is falling over. If so, severely restrict the number of connections, install and properly configure DD-WRT firmware, or get a better router.

See wikis below for lots of useful info.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks for the reply, to answer your questions, when I get disconnected, my wireless icon becomes an "X" and when I try to reconnect it comes up with limited or no connectivity. My DSL connection is still active because I only have to powercycle the router, not the DSL modem, so the DSL connection is not being dropped. Could be the router that's freezing up I don't know that.

For P2P file sharing, thats not the case, I simply hate and don't use that... And when I'm online it's usually to browse, e-mail, msn messenger, streaming radio.

Mike

Reply to
mikeleblanc19

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

What hardware version of the WRT54G? The v5 and v6 models seem to have a tendency to hang.

What are you using for a wireless client computer and adapter? Changing the router isn't going to help if the client computer is the problem.

Did they replace it with the exact same hardware version?

The keep alive is for the WAN port, not the LAN.

I'm lost. Could you re-write this description? Please include what model D-Link router and what you used for client computers for testing. Does your friend with the "same" problem also a different client computer, or the same one that you're using for testing?

Connect directly how? I assume you mean directly via ethernet between the computer and the DSL modem.

It's unlikely that two routers would be defective unless the entire series of routers was defective. That might be the problem. See:

Note that this also applies to the V6 but not the V7 models.

The V5 and V6 versions also can't handle much traffic or connections. See table at:

formatting link
select "Number of simultaneous connection". The v5 mutation can only handle 8 simultaneous connections.

I've returned for credit or exchange all the v5 and v6 routers I've blundered across, so I have minimal personal experience with these losers.

Maybe. If the key refresh time coincides with the disconnects, it could be a WPA issue. It's on the Wireless Security Page:

and defaults to 3600 seconds. Duz it disconnect every 60 minutes?

I think your description is rather disorganized but I get the idea. In your followup, you disclosed that you're seeing a red "x" on the connection in the system tray. That means you've lost the wireless connection. That could be many things. Old firmware, old drivers on the client, interference, weak signal, reflections, position of the moon, etc. So, lets start with the easy ones and you get to fill in the blanks.

1. Update router firmware.
  2. Update client firmware and drivers.
  3. Verify that you have decent signal to noise ratio.
  4. Test in an interference free environment (i.e. a dungeon).
  5. Sniff for interference with Kismet running on a Linux LiveCD. This will show networks that don't broadcast their SSID.
  6. etc (gotta run...)
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On 29 Apr 2007 10:00:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

1. Check the status lights on the router.
  2. Connect to the router by cable to see if the router is alive.
Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.