PPPoE and non-ethernet modems

looking at

formatting link
it says "The DSL-200 supports Static IP, Dynamic IP, as well as PPPoE/PPPoA and Bridge connections terminating on the local PCs."

Firstly, don't modems just convert digital to analogue and vice versa, and dial numbers. They would just provide the connection, withot knowing about PPP's username, and passord. So 'd have thought that all modems 'support ppp' as they should any computer protocol since it's just a digital signal.

Secondly,how can you have PPPoE i.e. PPP over ethernet, on a non-ethernet modem?

Reply to
jameshanley39
Loading thread data ...

DSL CPE devices aren't simple modems in the same sense as POTS devices. They often have bridging and/or routing capabilities in them in addition to the analog modulating capabilities. A DSL modem providing the phone line to ethernet connection most of the time acts as a bridge. The DSL devices that support PPPoE are also acting, in a fashion, as a router; making the PPPoE connection and providing a bridge to it.

PPPoE is, more or less, a tunnelling protocol. In the same fashion as PPP over a serial link or dial-up.

Reply to
wkearney99

end-users.

my old 56k dial up modem must have 'supported PPP' in a similar way , done through the OS, you provide a user/pass, it's authenticated and you get a dynamic IP. This router/modem by DLink also has PPP at the OS level not at the hardware level. However, if the feature of supporting PPPoE is a factor that makes the DLink device more than just a modem, then wouldn't the feature of supporting PPP make my old 56k modem more than just a modem?

Reply to
jameshanley39

Yes, its a router that has a DSL modem in it. But that would be lost on 99.9% of the customer base they are looking for, who all refer to it as a modem, so they lose the technical terms that would confuse the end-user. Pretty much any DSL CPE is called a modem no matter what it actually does or how much hardware is actually inside by the end-users.

Pretty easily, its just a protocol, the router just has to talk the right bits for the other end to understand. Doesn't matter if its physically not there, it is virtually in this device.

Reply to
Doug McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.