wireless usb question

With the Wireless USB in the developemental stages, it's very exciting news to hear about such a thing. When it's finally out and everyone has such a setup, what can it do?

For example, i have a 5 year old USB webcam. Could i use the webcam outside, or in another room, when WUSB is finally out? There must be a dongle of some sort that fits in a usb port of the computer, and I would assume that you put something on the usb cable of the actual device, such as a dongle, so they could communicate.

It looks like Bluetooth technology will have some competition when WUSB comes out. It would seem like WUSB would be much simpler to use, if it involves a dongle or something for both the computer and the device. I have a bluetooth dongle for my cell phone, and i'm not too knowledgable about it yet. I figured out how to transfer from the computer to the phone, but haven't figured out how to transfer from the phone to the computer. I'll figure it out, but like i said, it would seem that WUSB would be simpler to use.

Anyone know anything about WUSB who wants to give me a basic lesson on what it involves?

thanx!

Reply to
bateman
Loading thread data ...

"bateman" hath wroth:

Wireless video sufficient to run a large LCD monitor or television. Wireless hard disks, DVD drives, and peripherals. Fully modular computer with interconnecting high speed data.

480Mbits/sec at 2 meters or 110Mbits/sec at 10 meters. 1GBit/sec (maybe) gigabit ethernet later. Some applications listed here:
formatting link
formatting link

No. Four problems.

1. The WUSB chipset will probably need to be integrated into the product.
  2. There *MAY* be retrofit products for existing USB applications, but it's more likely that new products will have integrated WUSB chips. See:
    formatting link
    Real UWB (WUSB) has a very limited range using 3.1 to 10.6 GHz at

-41dBm/MHz. Range will be MUCH less than 802.11a/b/g.

1. The Bluetooth SIG has announced the future development will be based on UWB (WiMedia). I don't know if this is a good thing, or a potential source of interference.

There are chips that will do that now. |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link
guess is about 2-4 months and we should have malfunctional products. Add about 18 months for ones that work.

Bluetooth has many fundamental problems. The biggest is that 4,000 members threw every feature possible into the soup bowl and wondered why it ended up being a bad compromise. The FCC didn't help much by crippling frequency hoppers in favor of direct sequence spread spectrum devices. Evolutionary development for Bluetooth is effectively halted and being replaced by UWB Bluetooth. |

formatting link
they're building on the almost deceased 802.15 TG3a failure, there seems to be some illusion that the 4000 members of the Bluetooth SIG could reach agreement where the 802.15.3a committee could not.

At this very moment, it's science fiction. Products based on the Icron Xing chips are coming real-soon-now. The first will probably relatively low speed USB wireless extension cords. Imbedded products, particularly in high speed video devices, will follow.

One of the first things asked are "how can I get more range". Well, building a 3-10GHz high gain broadband antenna or power amplifier is not my idea of a trivial exercise. It will be much like MIMO with limited expansion possibilities. Figure on 2 to 10 meters and no more.

Methinks Intel's FAQ answers most of the other common questions: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
(see refs at bottom)

If you want techy details, see: |

formatting link
|
formatting link
|
formatting link

802.15.3a Nov 2003 proposal (70 pages): |
formatting link
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thanks a lot on the info!! It is going to be really cool to experience wireless USB! I love the idea of anything wireless. I was recently looking online at a wireless webcam, which has it's own built-in server, so you can, for example, use it as a security monitor for your house by going to the internet webpage of the camera. What will they think of next?

Reply to
bateman

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.