Wireless USB connection (not WUSB)

Sorry if this subject has been discussed before; I'm new here and I searched the archives without any luck.

I need to create a wireless USB connection between a computer and a device (in this case a digital still camera but it could be a printer, etc.). USB2.0 speeds would be nice but I can live with 54mbps. I know WUSB is in the works but the range (9m) is not enough and no device is available now.

So what I'm looking for is USB2.0 802.11b/g converters that I could put at each end, one on each device. The signals would come out of one USB device and be transmitted wireless through the wireless LAN to the other device and converted back to USB, and vice-versa.

Does that make ANY sense at all? Maybe there are protocol problems I don't see... As I said I understand that I wouldn't get USB2.09 speeds that way but I can live with that.

Thanks for any help! Iam

Reply to
Iam Nemo
Loading thread data ...

One of the range of user-firmware-able wifi routers with a USB host port, and your device plugged into it, and a program to act as a proxy on the router.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Could you live with a USB network device and a WiFi network connection to a computer on the same LAN? Check Tom's Hardware for a review within the last year of a couple of devices that put a "real" USB device on the network (as opposed to a USB print server or equivalent).

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Ian: I'm afraid your solution, however elegant, is way out of my league. I am a end user of these devices and was looking for a commercially available solution. Thanks!

William: I'm really intrigued by this approach and will check out TH. Thanks!

For those wondering about WUSB here's a few links:

formatting link
and a few potentially interesting companies to watch:
formatting link

Reply to
Iam Nemo

"Iam Nemo" hath wroth:

UWB (Wireless USB) from Intel is in the works. It promises really high speed connections, at very short distances, for devices such as displays, video, gigabit ethernet, etc. |

formatting link
WirelessUSB LS from Cypress Semiconductor will sorta do this, but at fairly slow speeds intended for mice and keyboards. Most of the products available are for USB to serial (RS-232) wireless converters.

If the "devices" at each end are a computer, that can accomidate Bluetooth or 802.11g wireless, then a simple peer-to-peer network will do just fine.

It makes sense. You want a wireless USB 2.0 extension cord, where the "devices" at each end do not participate in the wireless part (no drivers). Is this correct?

I think this is close but I'm not sure:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That's one of the ones tomshardware (well, OK, Tom's Networking) reviewed at

formatting link

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.