PCMCIA or USB?

Consider something that does BOTH...

Here's a new toy that's perfect for both mobile and fixed use for RV'rs... It's a Linksys WUSB54GP Wireless-G Portable USB Adapter

formatting link
. The little USB wireless dongle (2 " long) can go into a USB port on a laptop, or when at home, can go into the device shown at that link (USB cable connected, i.e. sit in the window for a better signal, works with the USB extension cables, and can be 21-75 FT away tested with 21, ads say up to

75). The extension cables are cheaper at some other places, but here's a link to 16 FT extension Cables at Best Buy
formatting link
(they are pretty prevalent, also at Office Depot/Circuit City/even Radio Shack)
Reply to
Peter Pan
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
> (they are pretty prevalent, also at Office Depot/Circuit City/even

If you look at the picture, the "dongle itself" is rather small (under 2" x

3/4"), it's the cable and stand that are big. The antenna itself goes up/down etc.

Bluetooth... forget it It's short range (like 30 ft or so)

PCMCIA/Cardbus, may/may not be useful.. Depends what you want to do. Be aware that the large majority of cards do *not* have external antenna connectors.. Only about 1 in 10, and that 1 is usually way more expensive. While USB will use a very small % of the processor (usually less than 1/100 of 1%), Wifi, even at high speed g will only use maybe 2/100 of 1%... That would leave 99.7% unused. Most laptops with wireless built in, have an antenna built into the lid (usually a wire around the lcd screen), and that works much much better than the internal in pcmcia/cardbus cards (that little black plastic rectangular part at the end of the card is the antenna).

For what it's worth, I have a few laptops here, both internal cards and USB devices, and WiFi both here and at work, and find the cards sitting in my junk drawer, and mostly using the USB dongles. For my use, they are more convenient.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Getting a new laptop without built-in wireless. So, am wondering which type of card to get the strongest signal. My thoughts are that some PCMCIA cards allow external antennas, so this could give me better options to get a stronger signal. Doesn't USB need to use the processor to work out what it is that's coming in, so could add an overhead compared to PCMCIA? Could put an extension cord to allow better placement of the USB dongle.

So, I'm not really decided on whether to get a USB over PCMCIA. Do certain ones receive better than others?

This is going to be used pretty much for email and internet usage only. I don't tend to stream over the network etc as I only have a small flat.

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
elyob

"elyob" wrote in news:kgEXd.843$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

You'll want a PCMCIA card... When using a laptop you don't wnat a USB thiny dangling around.

Is this a new laptop? Perhaps you can just buy a Mini-PCI wifi card. Or even better, reconsider and purchase a laptop WITH wireless : )

Reply to
Lucas Tam

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately I couldn't stretch for internal wireless, it's a cheapy laptop (although is brand new). So, I went for better processor and battery life. I've not really seen the mini-PCI cards .. is that an internal card? I looked at ebuyer.co.uk and they seemed pretty expensive compared to PCMCIA.

I don't mind the dongle dangle with USB. However, I'm just concerned of bending bits and pieces when travelling.

Nick

Reply to
elyob

I'd go for PCMCIA, as I think there is an processing overhead with usb. I bought a 3Com 3CRPAG175 as it has a folding antenna ("XJACK") so you can leave it in the laptop all the time, and it doesn't stick out. However, it's not cheap, and I've had a dissapointing experience with

3Com support recently (see my earlier post "3crwe454g72").

USB does however have the advantage that you can use an extension cable to position the adaptor for best coverage.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Reply to
Ed Williams

formatting link

It's a big bit of equipment though! What about a PCMCIA & Bluetooth in one? Anything like that available?

Reply to
elyob

I'd go with PCMCIA. A USB piece of hardware, with a verticle antenna, would give a better RSL than a PCMCIA card with an internal horizonal antenna, but I doubt receive levels are going to be any problem at all in "small flat".

I'm in a three-story (four, if you count the refinished basement) home and have no problems using a laptop with a PCMCIA wireless card in most of my house. This is even with 802.11a (5 Ghz), which has less range than

802.11g/b (2.4 Ghz). My routers and AP's are located on the middle floor. The top floor was getting a low signal strength, but I've since added a repeater. (Low signal strength on top floor was just for 802.11a. 802.11g/b was well operational before adding a repeater.)

The main reason for PCMCIA is simply convienence. Lugging around additional hardware with a laptop, at least for me, is a major PITA. Only thing I want to lug around with a laptop is the power adapter and an optical USB mouse.

Never had any problems with the PCMCIA card while using public (mainly, hotels) hot spots. Works just fine. The PCMCIA card sticks out about an inch, but the laptop fits nicely in the laptop bag without having to remove the card.

Cheers,

-Eric

Reply to
Eric

"elyob" wrote in news:jKEXd.857$ snipped-for-privacy@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

I think you can get Mini-PCI (802.11b) cards for ~20USD... of course your laptop will have to support the card (i.e. have a built in antenna). Does another variant of your laptop have an internal wireless card? If it does, there is a good chance your laptop will have the built in antenna.

BTW, which laptop are you going to purchase?

Exactly - I find it's a hassle having loose parts dangling around especially if you move around a lot.

Reply to
Lucas Tam

I have a Netgear WG511 in the laptop, and a DWL-122 USB mini-dongle in the laptop bag. I use the DWL on someone else's computer for an ad-hoc connection in an environment where there is normally no network. I could use it for an "external" antenna on the laptop if I needed it. It only cost $9.99, and the G cards are around $19.99, so... one of each.

I don't think any of the commodity "g" cards have external antenna connections. I'd rather carry the USB than an extra antenna.

I don't remove my card at all. I bonked it into the wall today crawling behind some racks, but I haven't had any other traumatic events with it.

Reply to
dold

Acer Aspire 1362LC AMD Sempron 2800+ 256MB 40GB DVD/CD-RW 15" XP Pro

Some of the higher Acer Aspire's have wireless.

I do have a

formatting link
or similar to this. It allows an external aerial, but with a new laptop I'm trying to see whether receive powers have improved on PCMCIA cards. I'd like something like this (internal & external antenna). An internal mini-PCI means to chance for better signal, but willing to investigate. The current PCMCIA card may go with my old laptop as a 'selling point'.

Reply to
elyob

A friend just bought a Compaq R3000Z very cheaply. There was a wireless option, but I thought it was a PCMCIA card, so I advised against that, since I have a spare one that I'll give her.

Now I think the option might have been internal. The Mini-PCI card typically goes into the bottom of the laptop, covered by a metal panel similar to the way memory is added. It's a little smaller than a PCMCIA card. The factory installed versions will probably have a loop antenna built into the back of the display, so they might get better coverage than a PCMCIA card. If you didn't get the factory option, the cable might still be there. Look inside the hatch for one or two little connectors.

There are Mini-PCI cards on eBay for $20-$70, but I don't see any for sale at usual retial outlets.

Reply to
dold

formatting link
>> (they are pretty prevalent, also at Office Depot/Circuit City/even

I thought my bluetooth phone might be useful when not in a wifi area. I've GPRS on that, so could find it useful when on a train etc.

I too thought the USB would be more convenient, but want to find a supplier of an extension cable that is flush with the back of a laptop, so I don't have to remember to take it out! It only takes one muck up, and I've wrecked both a cable and USB port. I guess the USB wouldn't take up too much power, so will take that equation out of my choice.

So, I'm down to USB dongle, with a flush extension (are they really as powerful?), a mini-PCI card (will my "Acer Aspire 1362LC AMD Sempron 2800+

256MB 40GB DVD/CD-RW 15" XP Pro" have a wireless loop in the screen?), or a PCMCIA (I want an external antenna and a big powerful *****!)

At least I'm narrowing it down!

Reply to
elyob

I found that my PCMCIA card has very poor reception on my desk, looked into aerials, but it was actually cheaper to buy Orinoco USB adapter on 1.5m cable, placing it on a shelf 5' high made all the difference. Works great Keep the PCMCIA card in my travel bag now. Regards, Martin

Reply to
Martin²

I popped open the mini-pci slot and couldn't see any little wires lying about. I guess I don't have the neccesary antenna built into the screen. If so, that's a shame they didn't build the wires in for future upgrades.

Retrofit the wire? Probably not worth the effort I reckon.

Reply to
elyob

More likely a cardbus card.

Barry

Reply to
Barry OGrady

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.