wireless NETBIOS filesharing-- problem source found

I've been posting here for a while about how I can't get filesharing to work on my wireless computer using NETBIOS. The computer is a Dell Inspiron 5150 running XP with the 1300 internal wireless card, and the other computers (wired) use XP Pro and OS/2. The wireless router is a WRT54g.

After much trial and error I back-leveled the wireless card's driver to one I found on the internet-- the generic Broadcom 3.100.46.0 version. The file is bcmwl5.sys. Now wireless file sharing works perfectly. I haven't experimented with releases newer than that one but older than the current one, so I don't know when NETBIOS was broken.

Is anyone else aware of this issue-- was the change to the driver deliberate (since Micro$oft no longer supports netbeui) or was it an accident?

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff
Loading thread data ...

All I ever had on the XP pro machine laptop that was wireless was TCP/IP, MS F&PS, and Client for MS networks or I used MS NWlink IPX/SPX Netbios compatible on all NIC's and had no problems networking wire or wireless machines.

Netbeui is not a routable protocols and you can run into problems on the wireless when sharing resources.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.