Wireless printing

I know little or nothing about networking, so please bear that in mind...

I've got a 3Com router to which two laptops connect wirelessly and a desktop and a printer connect via a LAN cable. I have a second printer (QMS 2300DL colour printer) which I want to make available over this small network, but it's too far away from the router to cable, so I thought about connecting it wirelessly.

I know there are wireless print servers available, but do not understand how this is going to work. Does the wireless print server become a second network, or will the print server connect to the 3Com router, just like the laptops do? If it sets up a second network, I presume I won't be able to access the printer from the cabled desktop, is that correct? Also, how would the laptops connect - do I end up with two network connections?

What I really want is to be able to wirelessly connect the 2300DL to the existing router. Is that possible?

Sorry it's a bit of a basic question.

Thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Barnett
Loading thread data ...

A wireless print server and a wired print server work the same way except for the connection. Your print server will connect to the router and receive an address (just like any other device on the network). It is best to use a static address, however.

Since it is wireless, if you are using wireless security (WPA , etc.), you will set the device up just like you would set the card in your computer to connect.

Reply to
Jerry Park

In addition to what Jerry wrote, keep this reference handy for setting up fail-safe printing to a print server:

formatting link
Q

Reply to
Quaoar

Quaoar/Jerry, Many thanks for this. I now need to find myself a wireless print server that's going to work with my printer and I can have a go. I started looking at the Belkin device but they specifically list my printer as not working. I'll check out the 3Com version next.

Again, thanks Steve

Reply to
Steve Barnett

Does that printer have network support? eg a printer server built in?

Perhaps you just need to connect it to your wireless lan.

Reply to
CWatters

It has a print server built in, but to connect it I will have run a cable through to the router. That's what I'm trying to avoid, as it means running a cable round the house.

The wireless router needs to be near the phone line for the ADSL connection and the printer is where it is because it's the only place I can put it. There is no room to put it nearer the router. My monochrome printer (Brother HL-5250DN) is connected via LAN cable directly to the router and that works very well. That's what got me thinking that the colour printer should be connected also.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Barnett

What I meant was..can't you use something like a wireless bridge or isn't that going to work?

Reply to
CWatters

Here try something like this...

formatting link

Reply to
CWatters

formatting link

I had no idea such things existed... networking to me is meeting your mates down the pub.

I'll have a read and see what's involved. Thanks for this.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Barnett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.