Printing via cable modem and vpn

I can't print to my local printer on my home LAN when I use my Cicso VPN client to connect to my company network. I'm connected via a cable modem to the internet, and I'm using a wireless Linksys router and wireless print server (however the printer is wired via a parallel cable because I have that option and do not need the wireless feature). The printer is setup as IP printer, and the IP address is a local LAN static address.

The printer works fine when the VPN is not connected, and my wife has what appears to be a similar setup on her laptop and she can print when connected via VPN to her company network with no issues.

I did some troubleshooting and I find that when I connect via the cisco vpn, I can't ping my internal LAN addresses, yet I've acquired one according to IPconfig /all. Any ideas of what I need to open up on my LAN or VPN to let these print jobs through?

Reply to
Billy
Loading thread data ...

Since the printer is NOT connected to your PC via parallel cable, but connected to the print server via parallel cable...it makes it a network printer to you, and not a local printer.

Your problem exists because the VPN client / connection places you on your company's network...so you are no longer on your home network, and therefore you cannot see your home network printer.

Some VPN clients allow smart tunnel / split tunnel - which allows you to exist in both networks at the same time....which is why your wife's VPN is allowing her to print at home. Other VPN clients / connections are configured not to permit smart / split tunnels...which is what appears is happening to you.

Reply to
Jim Orfanakos

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.