Why do I keep 'losing' my wireless printer?

I have a small home network: laptop, Linksys WAG160n router, and Epson SX600F wireless printer.

I rarely turn off my laptop (just shut the lid and put it to sleep) and never turn off the printer or the router (unless I'm going away).

At least two or three times a week, however, I 'lose' the printer from the network and the only way I can get it back is by re-booting the router. Turning the printer off and back on does not help. The printer is in the same room as the router and so signal strength is not an issue.

So why does the printer keep vanishing from the network?

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.
Loading thread data ...

What do mean by "lose" ? Does it no longer show in the routers DHCP Client table or ARP table? or is it a case of it just disappearing from the "network map" in Vista?

Reply to
LR

I have to admit that being very new to wireless networking I have no idea what you are talking about in relation to DHCP client tables or ARP tables.

If I click on 'Start' and then 'Network', I can normally see my PC, my router, and the printer. When I 'lose' the printer it vanishes from this network picture. If I try to print a document it simply goes into the 'pending documents' list but does not print.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Does your router not have this page:-

When you have your system working check the 2 tables to see if the IP of your printer is registered. Then when it fails check them again to see if the IP has disappeared. When the printer fails try pinging it from your computer to see if you get a response and if not go to this page on your router and try pinging the printer again.

You could also try giving your printer a Static IP instead of using DHCP and see if that makes any difference.

Reply to
LR

Thanks for that LR - I'll give your suggestions a try.

Ret.

Reply to
Ret.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.