Wifi Help

All,

Well I opened by laptop at a park nearby my home and I could see a wireless network named ' Free Public Wifi' in the list of networks. So I clicked to connect and it connected - but only to get the auto assigned 169.254.XXX.XXX series ip assigned. So eventhough it says it is connected, there is no data receieved over the network...

What should I do get it working properly?

Thanks!

Reply to
jayanes
Loading thread data ...

When you get the 169.x.x.x address, you aren't really connected. You can try to repair the connection. It is possible that you can see a signal but that the AP is too far away (signal too weak) to connect to properly. Also be aware that access points generally put out a stronger signal than your laptop does (better antenna, placement, etc.). It is possible you can see the signal but your laptop signal is too weak for the AP to see.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Some random possibilities:

You don't have a good enough connection to get an IP address from the DHCP server.

The owner has (mis)configured it to not _have_ a DHCP server (so only those in the know who can assign a static IP can use it).

It's a "free but you must sign up to use it" hotspot and you need to find the owner and get signed up.

It's a honeypot for stealing your passwords, and the script kiddies haven't gotten it figured out yet.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

Thanks a lot for all ur replies!!!!

Well I can see a strong signal, but can't connect. Probably he might have not turned on the DCHP option!!!

Thanks again!

William P.N. Smith wrote:

Reply to
jayanes

You can "connect" without DHCP. If you can't connect at all, he might be using MAC filtering or security.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.