wireless printing to network printer

I just bought a Brother MFC7820n which has network capabilities. I have a wireless network with one PC desktop and a Mac PowerBook. I currently have the printer connected to the PC via USB and shared over the network. I'd like to expand my network, and move the printer to a central location. How can I send print jobs to the printer without having the printer connected to a computer? The printer has network capabilities, so I don't think I need a print server. Is there an access point/router that the printer can use to receive print jobs???

Reply to
camderksen
Loading thread data ...

On 15 Aug 2006 20:34:13 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in :

If the printer has an Ethernet port, what you need is a Wireless Client Bridge (AKA Wireless Ethernet Bridge), A Wireless Game Adapter might also work.

Reply to
John Navas

It looks like the printer has a built-in print server.

I would assume the network printer has a RJ45 Ethernet connection type too that you could plug into a RJ45 LAN port on a wire or wire/wireless AP router. As long as you can plug the printer into a LAN port of the router, your wire and wireless, if getting a wire/wireless AP router can print to network printer connected to the router. It doesn't make any difference what router you get, as they all work the same. .

Duane :).

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 05:30:02 GMT, "Duane Arnold" wrote in :

With all due respect, it does matter -- there are considerable differences between different products.

Reply to
John Navas

You want to come up with some kind of proof here that plugging a print server or printer with a built-in print server into a Ethernet LAN port on some NAT router for home usage is going to be different between one router to the next.

That's what we're talking about and nothing else.

You know something. I am really getting tired of you. You post too damn much for you're own good.

Duane

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 11:12:42 GMT, "Duane Arnold" wrote in :

Sure. I've seen quite a few flaky wireless routers that produced symptoms of printing not working.

Not with a flat statement like that.

Ditto.

Feel free to filter me out.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks, Duane. If I just plug the printer into the wireless router, how would I configure it without a computer? John's idea of a wireless ethernet bridge requires no configuration, but its harder to find used ones.

Reply to
camd

On 16 Aug 2006 12:28:15 -0700, "camd" wrote in :

Used Linksys WRT54G with alternative firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

See, that's the problem with *wireless* you moron. Do you hear me?

Yeah I know. Somehow in your pea brain you think the NG is yours and you have lost touch with reality with posts, posts and more posts.

No, you stop posting to me you *clown*. Better yet, go find a *woman* and get the hell off the Internet. Any real *woman* she could be 80 as far as you are concerned would be better than your Circuit City mistress, just get the hell of the Internet for awhile.

Could you do a week or two, because you're choking the NG out with your

129,000 posts a week.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Wed, 16 Aug 2006 22:53:35 GMT, Duane Arnold wrote in :

That's one. You'll have to forego the childish insults if you want to have an ongoing discussion with me. It's actually just as much a problem with cheap routers.

That's two.

That's three. We're done. You'll have to rant on without me. Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Didn't the printer come with a CD? Chapter 9 in your user manual talks about using the CD with network printing? The little print server I use on my network with the printer attached was simple.

I was able to configure the print server that was connected to the LAN port on the router with no problems and using the CD that came with it. Then I was able to go to each computer and configure them to use the printer on the network. It was a piece of cake. It can't be that hard.

You might want to call tech support on the printer as they should be able to guide you through it.

You should use a static IP on the router, if you know what that means.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You're not talking about anything, just get the hell off the Internet for awhile. I know it's difficult for you. Your addiction to the Internet is really bad.

Duane :(

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.