Wireless PCI adapter for Windows 2000

I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows

2000. Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter needs to come with its own utility that lets you use WPA.

I also would like the adapter's software to run as a Windows service (as opposed to running only when a user logs in) - that way the system can respond to pings or share requests if no one is logged in. The software should also allow limited user accounts to use the wireless connection.

Any recommendations?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com
Loading thread data ...

My experience of using PCI adapters is that they only connect when logged on. Instead, I use an external "bridge" device which connects to the PC using Ethernet. Many Wireless Access Points will operate in this mode (I've used ones from US Robotics and Netgear), as well as devices designed solely for this function. Of course, if you're going to use an Ethernet connected device, you might consider HomePlug/Powerline.

Phil, London

Reply to
Philip Herlihy

~ I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows ~ 2000. Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero ~ Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter ~ needs to come with its own utility that lets you use WPA. ~ ~ I also would like the adapter's software to run as a Windows service ~ (as opposed to running only when a user logs in) - that way the system ~ can respond to pings or share requests if no one is logged in. The ~ software should also allow limited user accounts to use the wireless ~ connection. ~ ~ Any recommendations?

I believe that the Cisco PI21AG will meet all of the stated requirements.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Do you know if I can use WPA-PSK with the Cisco adapter? There is this FAQ at cisco.com:

formatting link
"Q. Can I configure Wi-Fi Protected Access-Pre-Shared Key (WPA-PSK) with the help of the Aironet Client Utility (ACU)?

A. WPA provides a PSK version that is intended for use in small office, home office (SOHO) or home wireless networks. Cisco ACU does not support WPA-PSK. The Wireless Zero Configuration utility from Microsoft Windows supports WPA-PSK for most wireless cards."

So either the adapter doesn't support WPA-PSK, or that FAQ is referring to an older adapter.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that my computer has PCI 2.1 slots. The only thing I can find about the PI21AG is that it is "PCI Rev. 2.3 compliant". Any idea if it works with PCI 2.1?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

Get one of the wired ethernet adapters instead. That way nothing has to change on the w2k box. It can use it's plain old ethernet driver and not have to worry about any other driver or utility software.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

~ On Jul 7, 12:56 pm, Aaron Leonard wrote: ~ > ~ I am looking for a wireless PCI adapter that supports WPA on Windows ~ > ~ 2000.  Since Windows 2000 does not have the Wireless Zero ~ > ~ Configuration service like XP does, then the wireless PCI adapter ~ > ~ needs to come with its own utility that lets you use WPA. ~ > ~ ~ > ~ I also would like the adapter's software to run as a Windows service ~ > ~ (as opposed to running only when a user logs in) - that way the system ~ > ~ can respond to pings or share requests if no one is logged in.  The ~ > ~ software should also allow limited user accounts to use the wireless ~ > ~ connection. ~ > ~ ~ > ~ Any recommendations? ~ >

~ > I believe that the Cisco PI21AG will meet all of the stated requirements. ~ ~ Do you know if I can use WPA-PSK with the Cisco adapter? There is ~ this FAQ at cisco.com: ~ ~

formatting link
~ "Q. Can I configure Wi-Fi Protected Access-Pre-Shared Key (WPA-PSK) ~ with the help of the Aironet Client Utility (ACU)? ~ ~ A. WPA provides a PSK version that is intended for use in small ~ office, home office (SOHO) or home wireless networks. Cisco ACU does ~ not support WPA-PSK. The Wireless Zero Configuration utility from ~ Microsoft Windows supports WPA-PSK for most wireless cards."

~ So either the adapter doesn't support WPA-PSK, or that FAQ is ~ referring to an older adapter.

The latter case applies. ACU is the client utility for our older

350 series adapters. The client utility for our current CB21AG/PI21AG adapters is called ADU, and it does support PSK. See a configuration example here:

formatting link
~ Another thing I forgot to mention is that my computer has PCI 2.1 ~ slots. The only thing I can find about the PI21AG is that it is "PCI ~ Rev. 2.3 compliant". Any idea if it works with PCI 2.1?

Oops. The PI21AG does require PCI 2.3 and is not supported (and probably will not work) with PCI 2.1.

Could you use a wireless bridge, such as a Linksys WET54G?

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

That is good to know.

I used the Cisco Chat feature on your web site and spoke with a sales rep. I asked him, and he said it is backwards compatible with PCI 2.1, but that it would run at a slightly slower bus speed.

I will look into that.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

~ >~ Another thing I forgot to mention is that my computer has PCI 2.1 ~ >~ slots. The only thing I can find about the PI21AG is that it is "PCI ~ >~ Rev. 2.3 compliant". Any idea if it works with PCI 2.1? ~ >

~ >Oops. The PI21AG does require PCI 2.3 and is not supported (and probably ~ >will ~ >not work) with PCI 2.1. ~ ~ I used the Cisco Chat feature on your web site and spoke with a sales rep. ~ I asked him, and he said it is backwards compatible with PCI 2.1, but that it would run at a slightly slower bus speed.

A sales rep would say that, wouldn't he? :^)

I know for a fact that some customers have tried unsuccessfully to use the PI21AG with computers that have a PCI 2.1 bus. That said, I guess you could give it a go with your particular systems and see if it works, and get a refund if not.

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.