Wireless PCI adapter not working in old motherboard

I just got a MSI PC60G PCI wireless adapter, and I'm trying to get it to work in an old ASUS P5A motherboard.

I tested the PCI adapter in a new system, and when I turned the system on, the adapter's power light turned on immediately.

But when I put the adapter into the old ASUS P5A system, it didn't work. I tried all 5 of the PCI 2.1 slots, and the power light on the adapter never turned on.

According to MSI, the adapter is compliant with PCI 2.2. But a few retailer sites say it is also compliant with PCI 2.1 (not sure where they got that info). I've gotten PCI 2.2 devices before and used them in PCI 2.1 slots without any problems, but maybe this one really does need a PCI 2.2 slot? Is there any hope of getting it to work in the ASUS P5A system, or should I return it and look for something that specifically says it supports PCI 2.2?

Reply to
void.no.spam.com
Loading thread data ...

Comparing a 440BX reference schematic (circa April 1998 with PCI 2.1 compatible Southbridge PIIX4e), to the PCI22.pdf spec, shows three pins different.

3.3VAUX pin A14 Standby power source, part of PME# and "wake on LAN" type functionality. Added to PCI22. SDONE pin A41 (deleted from PCI22, now reserved/no connect) SBO# pin A40 (deleted from PCI22, now reserved/no connect)

SBO/SDONE, when I look for them, mention something to do with cache coherency. That likely doesn't affect the device power LED. But the 3.3VAUX might have something to do with it. On the older computer bus, that pin could be disconnected and floating. Although I don't see drawing significant power from that pin, as being the best thing to do.

OK, I found a copy of PCI21 for download, and PME# is another difference. It is funny that the Intel schematic had PME# on the connector, but not 3.3VAUX. So I don't know where that puts the schematic I've got, in terms of claimed compliance.

PME# pin A19 Added to PCI22 for "wake on" functions

I wasn't able to find a reference schematic or datasheet for the RT2561 MAC chip, so cannot check to see what it needs from the PCI bus. And even if that was available, there might be some options as to how they could hook it up. For example, maybe they could hook it to a local source of 3.3V, instead of using 3.3VAUX for example. I don't know whether it makes sense to do stuff like "Wake on LAN" with a WiFi card or not.

formatting link
Paul

Reply to
Paul

I just tried it in a Abit KT7-RAID board, which also has PCI 2.1 slots, and the power light turned on. Weird.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.