How many devices can I use with a Homeplug?

Hello

I need to set up a network around the house. The problem is that I have two ethernet exits on my modem (one for tv and one for internet) that I need to get to the other side of the house (where the actual tv and computer are).

Can I plug both cables into two different home plugs and then use 2 others to pick them up on the other side of the house? Or will that not be possible because only one type of device can be pluged into a home plug network at a time?

Thanks

Zach

Reply to
Zach
Loading thread data ...

You only need one homeplug plugged into your modem/router. That is why you are getting conflict. Chris

Reply to
Chris

huh? why is your tv using ethernet? you didn't mention your provider, or whether you have voip, but most cable modems have coax in and one ethernet out and a usb out, or depending on if it is a voip modem and not just cable internet, one ethernet out and one phone jack out.... never seen or heard of two ethernet outs.....

Reply to
Peter Pan

what is your provider - ala ATT U-verse ? and the make & model number of your "modem"

Since we haven't seen this type of hardware mentioned before, it might be a little new for all of us to help with...

You might try the forums over here - if you have the ATT service

formatting link
lastly - on the AC wiring solution, which model "homeplugs" are you using ? Without knowing what your "modem" is doing with each Ethernet connection, it's hard to guess what's going on with the AC modules.

What IP address's are used for the TV and for the Internet segments ? Are they on the same IP segment or ??

Reply to
ps56k

yeah - me too - after I thought about this network....

why does your "modem" have two Ethernet jacks - with one designed for TV ???

And exactly how does the TV receive the Ethernet signal ??? Is there some specially supplied TV converter box to go from the Ethernet to the RF signal or RCA connectors or HDMI ??

Haven't really seen a TV with an Ethernet input...

Please give more specifics and details...

Reply to
ps56k

Hi Zach,

I've got one homeplug adapter from the modem to the AC power.

Then use the 'receiver/transmitters' plugged into the AC plugs in the house. I've installed up to 6 homeplug Recevier/transmitters' in one home that was multi-level and had not problems. I've set each of them up on a fixed IP and given each one of them a different SSID just so the people could tell which one they were connected to. I tried WDS and was having no luck with it so I stuck with different SSID's on each unit. With the Fixed Ip's I had no problem when the power failed from PGE because I didn't have to depend on the netgear router giving out DHCP ip's. Also At the router I had an HP AIO 7410 printer that everyone could connect to and print.

The only problem I can see with the homeplug setup is that you are limited to about 6mb/sec transfer rate. This is ok for everythilng except transfering files from the internet to the PC or from PC to PC. It's NOT network speed that you would see on a wired network.

Hope this helps,

Bob Smith Robert Smith Consulting ARS NA6T

Reply to
Bob Smith

I see some others have asked good questions to try and help you get a solution but here is my horse of another color:

Why is the modem on one side of the house and the TV and computer on the other side, with a need to get a connection 'over to them', so to speak.

Why not relocate the modem over to the TV and Computer?

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.