Problem with new Belkin Pre-N router

Hi, I have installed a brand new Belkin Pre-N router that I use with a variety of network cards: Belkin 54g, MN-720 54g, some other USB products 11b. I use both XP SP2 and W2000, and the router configuration is left standard except for security handled through MAC Address restrictions. While this router really rocks, on a weekly basis I have this phenomenon where the wireless connections drop in performance and finally get dropped without any warning. It seems like the router gets overloaded and cannot handle wireless connections while cable connections remain active. The only way I have right now to restore the situation is to either switch the router off, or resetting it through the configuration software. After that operations things get back to normal at full speed. Does any one has a clue about that issue? I checked the Belkin web site unsuccessfully. It really bothers me because this router really expand my signal range great, beyond my expectations.

Thanks, Danisoid

Reply to
Danisoid
Loading thread data ...

Danisoid -

I've had the Belkin F5D8230-4 Pre-N router up and running for about 6 weeks now, and it has been 100% rock solid. I've pumped a LOT of data through it -- massive downloads from wired and wireless pc's, as well as large data transfers across my WLAN from wired to wireless segments and vice versa. So far not a single hiccup, and I haven't had to reboot it for any reason either. I've been using this with 4 wired pc's, a wireless pc with a Belkin Pre-N adapter, and a wireless laptop with the Pre-N card also. I also used it for a while with my old DLink laptop and pc cards, and it worked great.

I wonder if the MAC filtering code has some kind of memory leak in the router? That's all that's different between our setups (I believe). Have you considering trying it without MAC filtering turned on? Not ideal, but it might shed light on the issue.

Also: have you called Belkin support? I would certainly give them a try.

I haven't tried MAC restrictions - so that's one thing different in our setups.

A shame you're experiencing this - the router has been incredible for me - better than anything else I've seen in the market to date.

- Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Strong

Harvey - the laptop's hardware would have to also support WPA. If the wireless hardware is older, it won't be available to you on the laptop.

Malke

Reply to
Malke

Thanks Jonathan, I agree it is an awesome piece of hardware when it works. Before MAC access control, I also used WEP 128bits but the results were the same, NO even worst as the key was resetted at the card level (???? do not ask me how) forcing me rekey them in each time to reconnect. I have not tried the belkin "human" support yet, but it probably already know the answer they will give me......"it must be your cards which are not Belkin pre-N", so this will be my last option. Thanks Dan

Reply to
Danisoid

Note that WEP128 is not covered by WiFi logo. Therefore its interportability is not guaranteed. On the other hand WEP64 and WPA are covered. You maight want to try these.

Misiek

Reply to
Misiek

Does the wireless pre-N card come with WPA software for win98se? I have an older I7500 laptop in which I am currently using WEP 128.

Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

I don't think I stated my question properly. If I were to purchase a Belkin Pre-N router, I would also get their Pre-N wireless pc card.

Currently I have the Belkin 7230-4 router and the 7010 PC card in my I7500( laptop way too old for integrated wireless). A while back, it looked that one could purchase a win98se WPA software solution for around $4000. I was just wondering if this new Pre-N PC card would come packaged with the software.

Thanks, Harvey

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

To be honest I've not experienced any problems with the router which i use as a WAP with its modem.

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Unfortunatly no. Belkin software does not inlude WPA support. One needs to use XP or some third party software for WPA. Moreover, there is no support for win98 at all. Only 2000 and XP.

Misiek

Reply to
Misiek

If your laptop is fairly old, like my old panasonic, it will only accept PCMCIA cards and most evrything out now is cardbus. Not sure why but I spent a week trying (win98)

Reply to
Airhead

Hopefully Belkin will release WPA support in an update to the driver for their cards, although I don't know if they'll bother for an older version of Windows at this point...

Reply to
Jonathan Strong

"Harvey Gratt" wrote

I know have the Pre-N router, the pre-N laptop card and the pre-N pci desktop card (which is just a pci card which provides a card slot II port for pre-n laptop card that comes with it!)

Apart from initial problems setting them(me forgetting to add their mac addresses onto the router! ) they work great.

WPA support is entirely taken from Windows, the card config utility only supports WEP. However using Windows wireless management you get WPA support. Looking at the instructions, it does say Windows 2000/XP only.

kind regards,

Daniel

Reply to
Daniel Bennett

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.