Wireless Network Sharing Possibilities?

Hello, this my first post, so please be noobie friendly.

I currently have a immobile laptop (no backlight to moniter) running Windows XP, with access to our home connection through a Linksys Wireless adaptor (USB). I also have a Windows 98 desktop next to it. In fact, they are hooked up with a KVM Switch. Anyway, I would like to know if there was any way to share the connection (perhaps using some kind of specialized cable or switch). I do have an extra network adapter which is USB, thus making it incompatible with the Windows 98 system due to driver technicalities.

I am tech savvy, and I'll have help with an IT expert, its just he's at work during the day. (My father). Help is appreciated.

Reply to
the.bassist
Loading thread data ...

How are you currently geting the wireless signal to the laptop. What I mean is where is the radio transmitting to the laptop? What brand is it and model number would help? Do you have physical access to the internet access point (cable modem/ DSL modem whatever)?

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

The router is a Linksys 2.4Ghz Wireless G Broadband Router. As I have stated, I am acessing it through a Wireless B USB Adapter on my laptop. And yes, I do have physical access to our modem. I want to share this connection to my '98 desktop.

Reply to
theratisback

USB is usually problematic on Win 98, but since have a WAP/Router, have you considered just picking up an ethernet card for the desktop (usually under $20 for a pci card) and hardwiring to the router?

Reply to
Peter Pan

On 3 Aug 2006 13:17:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in :

Connect the two computers with wired Ethernet (which could also be used for KVM-like functions; e.g., with VNC) using a crossover cable, and enable Internet Connection Sharing on the XP box.

Reply to
John Navas

Do you have a network card working in the 98 machine? If so, then add a wireless bridge. That way the PC will use it's regular ethernet connection and not bother the laptop at all. These are typically known as "gaming adapters". They basically take the wired ethernet connection and act as a bridge for that one computer to the wireless network.

If you have wired ethernet in the laptop you could use a crossover cable from the ethernet card in the PC to make the physical connection (as in, not needing a hub). Then enable Internet Connection Sharing on the laptop and bridge the wired and wireless network connections. The downsides to this are several. One being that it requires the laptop to be on all the time. The second being that it isolates the shared PC behind a NAT router. This means the PC isn't really "on" the same network; it's routed behind the laptop's ICS. This may make some applications fail. But if it's a 98 box, well, they're already likely to fail (kidding, of course).

Personally I'd just go with a wireless gaming adapter. It keeps the configuration much simpler. It might cost a few bucks more but the headaches of getting ICS setup right (and remaining so) aren't worth the savings. Penny wise, pound foolish.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.