Wireless network - please help

I wonder if you can help me. I am new to Linux and am trying to setup my wireless network card in Linux. I have discovered that I can use a program on Linux (cannot remember the name) that will use a Windows driver.

However, when I downloaded the driver for my wireless network card from the website it was an .exe file. I think the driver should be a .inf file.

My question is, how can I find out what .inf file on my Windows XP Pro system is the driver file for my wireless network card?

For information I am using Belkin's Pre-N wireless network card.

I hope you can help me.

I appreciate any help or information given.

Thanks!

Reply to
Neil Hindry
Loading thread data ...

(please don't post to multiple groups but set followups to one specific one - other people might be interested in the answers in the other groups you posted to). F'ups reset.

Probably its a self-installing exe. Many windows drivers come packaged like this. Try using one of the tools to let you peek inside MSI files, such as "lesmsirables"

The driver should be a bunch of DLLs and other executable code. The inf is just a file that tells Windows how to install it. Typically they're plaintext and contain stuff like this:

[version] signature = "$Windows NT$" Class = Net ClassGUID = {4d36e972-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} Provider = %MSFT% LayoutFile = layout.inf DriverVer=07/01/2001,5.0.2128.1 [Manufacturer] %TDK% = TDK

(this is from some TDK PCMCIA network card or other)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi,

Refering to "ndiswrapper" ...

formatting link
...and are following the install steps:

formatting link
In Win, have you tried to right-click on that .EXE and see if it is simply an archive that can be extracted? If so, it likely will have a /driver directory. If its an installer and not a simple archive, check the directory it installs to and it may likely have a /driver directory. Finally, last resort, simply go to Control Panel --> System --> Device Manager and look under Driver Details for the wireless card...

Its been about half a year since I used to 'ndiswrapper' to get one DLink wireless cards working under Linux, but I'm almost 100% certain that the Win driver I used was a .DLL

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.