NEWBIE LOST AND NEEDING HELP

Hi all,

Is there a website/forum where I can get an idiots guide to setting up a wireless internet connection?

I just bought NETGEAR DG834G v.2 Router and a USB 2.0 802.11G WLAN adaptor and despite trying to follow the instructions, it shows in the profile as being there but DISCONNECTED... (which it isn't).... I tried netgear support but was basically told the routers fine and there's nothing else they can do.... I tried Dick Smith who's Badge is on the USB adaptor but after 3 days have still to get a reply....

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

P.S. - The connection doesn't show up in Windows Wireless Connection window.

Reply to
Chris Kinghorn
Loading thread data ...

You should call Netgear Tech Support and let them help you. That's what they are there for is to help you with the basics.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Hi Duane

I tried Netgear and all they did was make sure the router wasn't faulty (works with a hard-wire c>> Hi all,

Reply to
Chris

Hi, Did you check device manager and do ipconfig to see what's going on?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Well, it has changed over the years I guess. All I can tell you is when I first got my Linksys equipment back there in 2001, Tech support guided me through it on the router and the card -- no problems. Maybe, it's an outsourcing problem now of days and quality of service. I know back in

2004 when I converted the Linksys wire/wireless router to just be a switch to connect to the Watchguard FW appliance, I got on the phone with both vendors and demanded that they guide me through the process -- no problems out of either one of them. Maybe, you need to bring the heat and start bitching and take it up the chain demanding that they help you. I know that's what I would do if they started giving me the song and dance.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Not that I know of, but there are real paper-and-ink _books_ "... For Dummies." Easier to read on the Throne, too. :-) Check out your nearest real bookstore, or try Amazon.

Mfr's tech support sometimes works, depends on how much you paid for the gear - if the mfr shaved margins to compete, guess where he cut costs?

Have fun!

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.