Wireless network problem.

Hi

I have a three PC network configured as follows. Two PC's are Ethernet connected to a Netgear WGR614 wireless router. The router is connected through a cable modem to the Internet. I also have a notebook running a wireless connection to the router. The notebook and one of the PC's are running Windows 2000 Professional and the other PC is running Windows

1. All machines are set up in the same Workgroup and all have shared disks. My problem is that I cannot see either of the PC's from the notebook although I can get to the Internet. I can also access shared disks from one hardwired PC to the other.

I did an experiment today by hooking the notebook up to the router using an Ethernet cable (eliminating the wireless connection). In this case I was able to see and access shared disks on both PC's from the notebook, and from either PC to the notebook. I would assume that this means the Windows 2000 machines are properly set up.

Previously I had a problem accessing a shared printer on the 2000 machine from the 98 machine and someone suggested that I make sure that I had the user on the 98 machine in the user group on the 2000 machine. I made sure all users are setup on all machines.

I hope someone can suggest what I could do to clear up the problem with the notebook. Thanks for your help.

Dave snipped-for-privacy@charter.net

Reply to
Dave Roberts
Loading thread data ...

Dave Roberts wrote in news:VonBd.9034$l41.2380 @fe07.lga:

I think you have the problem of the NIC protocols being used on the wireless card will not allow the wired machines to see it or the other way for the wireless to see the wired machines. If you disable WEP or WAP, then all machines wire/wireless may be able to see each other and be accessed. You should sync the protocols and services on the NIC's and see what happens with WEP or WAP enabled.

You can try the following on all the NIC(s) and remove everything else from them:

1) Client for MS Networks 2) File and Print Sharing for MS Networks 3) Internet Protocol TCP/IP

Yes, previous to that, I ran with NWlink that allowed the wired and wireless machines to access each other. I discovered I didn't need NWlink and just used the above and it works for wire and wireless machines sharing resources.

HTH

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Duane

Thanks for your suggestion. I am a rookie so I have to ask How do I sync the protocols and services? Thanks again for your help.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Roberts

Dave Roberts wrote in news:PUyBd.9990$ snipped-for-privacy@fe07.lga:

Sync the protocols and services on the Network Interface Card (NIC) on each computer and make sure only 1, 2 and 3 are in the NIC(s) LAN Connection Property Box for each machine's NIC removing anything else out of the Properties Box but 1, 2 and 3 above. You need to make them match on all the NIC(s) so that they will communicate with each other wire or wireless. 1, 2 and 3 above are the minimum that must be on the NIC(s) for successful communication and resource sharing between the machines. And you get there on each machine by going to Start Button/Control Panel/Network Connections and right-click the LAN icon/Properties.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.