Tracking internet traffic over the wireless

Hello,

I am going to rent out one part of my flat and provide wireless internet to the person renting. I don?t know this person and would like to have the possibility to track/log the traffic incase my ISP things something dodgy going on. I was thinking to use 2 wireless routers. One for me and I one for the person renting. I wonder if there are any wireless routers that tracks/logs internet traffic.

I was also thinking of get to 2 IP-addresses from my ISP and I wonder if it possible to assign one IP-address to one wireless router (with its on password) and the other IP-address to another wireless router (with its on password). There is only one line into the flat. I am currently using a D-link DI-624 for my wireless connection.

Tanks in advance for any help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Megoingmad
Loading thread data ...

Cisco 870 series (and all other routers) has various such options.

interface counters ip accounting netflow

may be others?

Costs more than D-link though.

Perhaps one of the linux based routers will allow access to some stats? Linksys?

Reply to
Bod43

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 04:16:32 -0500, Megoingmad wrote in :

SonicWALL makes great wireless routers that can isolate your flatmate from you, can handle multiple external IP address, and have extensive logging capabilities. Highly recommended.

Reply to
John Navas

Why not just capture your router logs to your PC every so often - my (fifty quid) Dlink records all the servers connected to by each client PC in my network. I wrote a bit of perl to stick the data in a MYSql database, but it'd be as easy to periodically review it in Excel or Access or something.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

You might look into running a replacement firmware on one of the many routers that will take it. DD-WRT is the most versatile and the newer versions have bandwidth monitoring, I believe. Certainly their paid version does and in any case, DD_WRT has Rflow, which will help you monitor usage.

DD-WRT.com has a long list of compatible routers that can be flashed with one version or another (be careful to get the right one).

If you go that route, the favored Buffalo routers, which are currently not sold in the US, are available, preloaded with DD-WRT from their store.

Also, many are very pleased with "Tomato a" simpler firmware replacement that concentrates on BW monitoring.

formatting link
If you don't want to have a buffalo shipped from Germany, then the Linksys WRT54G series works with DD-WRT (it's namesake). Be sure and check the version you are buying against their support list. The WRT54GL (note the "L") is a safe bet for either firmware.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

seaweedsteve hath wroth:

Yeah, it's pretty:

DD-WRT v24 RC 6.2 (current version) had a rather crude bandwidth monitor page. I can't find a photo, but it's just 3 graphs of in/out bandwidth on the LAN, WAN, and wireless ports.

Supported hardware list of DD-WRT:

Devices that should work with DD-WRT, but don't:

You can also monitor bandwidth externally using SNMP and MRTG, PRTG, RRDTOOL, and others.

The available OID's limit you to monitoring: (eth0) all routed wired traffic, WAN + LAN (eth1) all routed wireless traffic (vlan0) all routed LAN traffic (vlan1) WAN traffic (br0) vlan0-eth1 bridge traffic

You can also do some scripting. Some examples:

There's a crude graph of signal strength per connection in there.

You can get a clue as to the available features and goodies in the various tutorials at:

I've been getting various Buffalo products from Hong Kong via eBay. Prices vary from cheap to outrageous. I've been tempted to boycott anything from Australia since CSIRO, the plaintiff in the Buffalo case, is essentially a government agency in Australia.

The problem is that I don't buy anything from Australia. Sigh.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

formatting link

The way the judge handled that action is just plain wrong especially considering prior case law. He has essentially decided that the company is guilty and must accept his punishment of not being able to sell the particular products until the actual trial or other action that really decides guilt.

I guess you could place an order for a case of kangaroo tail soup and cancel it...

Reply to
George

Could you please trim your posts? Thanks!

On Sat, 09 Feb 2008 14:51:54 -0500, George wrote in :

My own take is that the judge applied the law correctly.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.