Infrastructure vs ad-hoc

Is it possible to establish both an infrastructure network and an ad-hoc network to run concurrently on a single set of wireless network components? I have 4 computers on a wireless infrastructure network, but would like to set up two of them to operate as an ad-hoc network as well. I have a Microsoft MN 700 router as my wireless basestation.

Reason why I want to do this is because the two computers I want to hook up run a common application with the data file residing on one of the computers. I am having problems with the computer that does not have the data file getting information from the data file in a timely fashion. If I hook up the two computers through a wired network, everything seems fine. When on a wireless network, I get delays. What's annoying, is that this all worked fine for over two years on a wireless network, and then about two months ago, delays started. If I eliminate the router, a ad hoc wireless network may improve the data transmission speed between the two computers. I still need the infrasture network, however, to permit all computers to access the router and the internet.

Any help appreciated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
dougd
Loading thread data ...

If it used to work have you verifed that you are not receiving interfearance from a near by neighbor network on your same channel? Or had the addition of a 2.4Ghz cordless phone, baby monitor or microwave? Do some scanning with netstumber

formatting link

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

No. For many reasons, not least of which is there's only one radio on each card/router.

And that's not how you'd debug your problem anyway. As has been suggested, you've likely got interference with something else. Either some other network gear is now on the same channel or there's something else causing the noise. Search for other wifi networks, if others are present then move yours to a channel different from theirs.

Wifi is unlicensed, it is possible to get into a situation where there are too many access points (like an apartment building, dorm, condos, marina) and no wifi will work because of it. If that's the case then it's time to meet the neighbors and work out a plan. Sometimes it can be as simple as using a lower power level on their routers (if it supports such). Or moving it to another place in their dwelling. Sometimes it helps to use reflectors to point the signal toward where it's needed and not elsewhere.

I'm guessing you've either got interference. Either that or the radio in the MN-700 is starting to die. New routers are cheap.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Thanks for the responses.

I am in a residential neighborhood with several APs around me. I will try to change the channel to something else. I don't think it is the MN

700 because I am only having problems with this one particular application that is on two computers. All of the computers are functioning in terms of accessing the router and gaining access to the internet. File sharing is also not a problem on the network.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
dougd

I tried a different channel and it seems to have cured the problem. Thanks for the tip. In a separate post by someone in response to the initial query, the person stated the radio in the MN 700 (my wireless router) may be going. How does one determine when the radio itself is starting to go, either in a wireless router or a wireless LAN card in a computer?

formatting link

Reply to
dougd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.