Wireless Internet Audio Interference

If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it...

I just purchased a new Dell Inspiron 1520 notebook with an internal AT&T wireless internet card. I activated the service with AT&T and it works well, but there is a major problem. When I use a VoIP program like Skype or MSN Messenger, I can hear the other person clearly but they consistently hear static along with my voice. I've tested this on several different people and the situation is exactly the same.

How can I fix this problem (quickly)? I use Skype for business purposes and this has really become an issue for me. I tried Dell's technical support; it was a long and ultimately useless exercise in frustration, and I don't know what else to do.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Shelby

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
Shelby123
Loading thread data ...

does this only happen when you connect wirelessly have you tried a wired conection ?

It may be a problem with the the sound card or microphone

Reply to
maurice

What kind of headset are you using? Bluetooth headsets provide lots of scratchy static for VoIP if they aren't on the proper side of your head, and within one meter of the laptop. I've tried a few Bluetooth headsets and gave up. I use a Plantronics DSP-400 USB headset.

Does Skype work okay via WiFi or wired for you with the same equipment?

Quality may depend on the data connection you are making. Plain GPRS is not suitable for Skype. Calls attempted don't work very well at all, and sometimes drop into echo loops, repeating the same bit of audio over and over.

EGPRS, or EDGE, is available almost everywhere. That works for Skype, but might exhibit some quality issues.

If the card you have is 3G, and you are in a 3G area, Skype should work okay. Cisco Softphone seems to work just fine.

formatting link
check the "3G" box if you are zoomed in on a place of interest.

Do you know what your data connection rate is? The icon in the systray shows the connection from PC to modem, which should be very high, or it is a limiting factor on 3G, but you also need to know the data rate between modem and cell tower. You might have a utility that shows that rate, or you might need to test with one of the speed test sites.

formatting link
AT&T Wireless data speeds
formatting link
Generic test site, recommended by AT&T. _

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.