wireless internet stops working at times

Hi, I have a Motorolla SB5100 Surfboard Cable modem and a Belkin Wireless G Router. Sometimes the wireless internet simply stops working, and to get the internet to work, one must connect directly to the cable modem. I think the problem lies in the cable modem though because we've had two different routers and the same problem occurs.

The internet seems to stop working either when no one is using it, or, so it seems, when there's an overload of information (too much being downloaded or transmitted).

Might anyone know how I can fix this problem? Thanks very much for your time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
mussashimits
Loading thread data ...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 12:44:15 -0400, mussashimits wrote in :

The usual problem is DHCP (in)compatibility with the cable Internet service. Try updating the Belkin firmware to the latest version. If that doesn't help, then consider replacing the router with a different brand and model. (I recommend the Buffalo high-power unit.) Or learn to live with it.

Reply to
John Navas

Any particular model number Belkin G router? Check if it has the latest firmware.

If the modem is working, but the wireless is not, then the problem is probably in the wireless. It takes 2 to tango. What's on the other end of the wireless link? If it's a laptop, are you sure you're not shutting down, going idle, running into power save, or otherwise timing out the connection? Also, same problem as the Belkin. Do you have the latest drivers? How's the signal strength? How's the signal quality?

There are 4 parts to this puzzle.

1. Cable modem
  2. Belkin Wireless
  3. RF environment (interference)
  4. Unspecified client computer. By replacing only one part of the puzzle, you're only proving that it's NOT the Belkin. It could easily be your cordless phone, microwave oven, or a list of others. See:

Ummmm.... if nobody is using it, how do you know it's not working?

Well, that's a possible problem. Are you doing any peer-to-peer file sharing? Opening a huge number of IP sockets and streams is a well known way of hanging a router. See:

I usually fix things by substitution. I think it's a fair bet that the Motorola modem is fine. Try connecting with a different model laptop. Also try borrowing a different model wireless router. If possible, do your testing with the client computah fairly close to the wireless router. That won't eliminate the effects of interference, but will eliminate a weak signal as a possible cause.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.