Setting Up Wireless Linksys Router for Broadband with Static IP

Sorry if this topic has been covered before; a search didn't show up an exact match.

I am in New Delhi, India, and my ISP (an Institute I work for) has broadband that I currently hook through an ethernet cable into my laptop (it's a Mac). They have also assigned me an IP address. I bought a WRT54G Linksys Wireless Router, and would like to make my connection wireless.

The networking guy mumbled something about DHCP, dynamic IP, static IP, etc. I have no idea how to configure this but he's not available till next week and I want to get this going. Here's the info and numbers I have (through Networks in System Preferences): IP address, Subnet Mask, DNS Server, and this configuration seems to be "Using DHCP".

Will this be enough for me to configure this wireless configuration? Or is there any other info I need to pester the guy for?

Many thanks in advance, apologies if this is a Luddite question.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
LinksysinDelhi
Loading thread data ...

LinksysinDelhi hath wroth:

No problem. What hardware version of WRT54G do you have? If new, it's probably v7 or v8. Look on the serial number tag for the hardware version, or just use the SN prefix from the table at:

Take notes. If you can't write fast enough, use a digital recorder. I record all my support calls as there's often some things I miss and want to replay.

If you are assigned a static IP address, you should have: Your IP Address Gateway IP address Netmask DNS Server #1 DNS Server #2 You may also have been assigned a machine and domain name. All of this is entered on the very first page of the router. Plug in an ethernet cable between one of the 4ea LAN ports on the WRT54G. The other end goes to your PC. Point your web browser at: http://192.168.1.1 You should see a login screen. login: admin passwd: admin The first page (Basic Setup) looks something like this:

Under "Internet Connection", select "Static IP". The page will change considerably. Plug in the information your were given and hit "Save Settings". You're done.

No. Wireless is a completely seperate exercise. First you obtain a

*WIRED* ethernet connection that works. Once that works, you setup the wireless parameters via the ethernet connection. Once that's done, you unplug the ethernet cable and try the wireless.

Have you ever considered reading the documentation?

Download the "user guide". There are also quite few hints in the FAQ's and knowledge base including how to setup a static IP address, but the pages are not bookmarkable. You'll need to slog through the stupid questions and answers, but I assure you that it's there.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.