Solving why WinXP freezes with D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650

Does anyone else have a 5-minute D-link wireless connection?

Within five minutes, my Windows XP laptop freezes when I have the "D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650" card in the PCMCIA slot. I can't move the mouse or anything.

Yet, immediately, when I remove the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 card, Windows XP works again.

I can't restart the D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 wireless card unless I reboot.

This is very inconvenient. My WinXP is up to date with patches. The D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G650 card says "H/W Ver.:B2", F/W Ver.:2.23" on the back.

Does anyone else have a 5-minute D-link wireless connection? Do you know how to solve this problem?

Thanks, Susan

Reply to
Froggy :Pond
Loading thread data ...

Is the laptop and AMD or an Intel Chipset? I have 1 laptop with an AMD chipset that freezes at any hardware change. My Intel Laptops have no problem with adding and removing hardware. My Powerbook G4 never complains about anything. I luv my MAC.

Reply to
WRC

How is the wireless connection maanged? With Microsoft Wireless Zero Configuration service or D-Link's utilittes? You can not have "both" on at the same time.

Reply to
Yves Leclerc

Hi, For a starter, do you have latest driver installed? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I use to have a similar problem, although mine froze almost immediately. It happened using a D-Link DWL-G650 as well, but my laptop was an older circa '98 Gateway 9100 LS. After a lot of experimentation, including replacing the card and trying other brands, I noticed that ANY newer PC cards I tried in my laptop would cause the same behavior! However, older PC cards, like my Xircom network/modem card, worked just fine. Believe me, I tried EVERYTHING under the sun to make it work, include BIOS changes, interrupt manipulations, etc., nothing worked. Although I can't prove it, I suspect that something changed in the PC card spec that made newer cards incompatible w/ my older laptop. The voltages are the same (my first suspicion), so there's just something else different, maybe the chipsets, whatever, that my older laptop doesn't like about newer PC cards. I've heard several other ppl have the same exact experience.

Granted, I'm merely speculating here, but your description brought back memories of this nasty problem that I tried to solve for many weeks w/ no success. Simply had to resign myself to using ONLY older PC cards, or USB-based alternatives. Just thought perhaps this might be what happening to you too.

HTH

Jim

Reply to
Jim

I have encountered problem with the USB version of the D-Link adapter. I determined that the drivers that D-Link includes with the AirPlus Xtreme G cards can cause crashes (on my PC.) I since got an SMC USB adapter and I have not have any problems.

NOT ALL CARDS ARE CREATED EQUAL!

Reply to
Yves Leclerc

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.