DWL-G510 (D-LINK) NOT COMPATIBLE WITH MEDIA CENTER?

How can I work around this problem or is there a suggested alternate adapter that will work?

Inasmuch as this is the second network adapter that failed to operate on my computer, I need to find one that will. Has anyone with Windows XP Media Center found a way around the fact that D-LINK says that their adapter is not compatible with Windows XP Media Center? (Later in this message, I have listed all of device manager's hidden & un-hidden files related to NETWORK ADAPTERS if that will help you spot a problem with my system).

I have driven myself absolutely bonkers trying to get a DWL-G510 (D-LINK) network adapter to function on my computer. After hours of research and much frustration, I decided to try their customer support for a remedy. I just received a response that says that the adapter may not function with WINDOWS XP MEDIA CENTER EDITION which I just happen to have.

D-LINK (DWL-G510) supposedly supports these operating systems:

- Windows 98 Second Edition

- Windows Me

- Windows 2000

- Windows XP

But says this about Windows XP Media Center:

- Unfortunately this adapter may not function with Windows XP Media Center

============Begin of Original Message ============

In device manager, the DWL-G510 network adapter has an error indicating 'This device cannot start (code 10).

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software and the adapter without any success. (This is a new $4,700 Dell XPS computer that has 2-gig Ram and three 250-gig hard drives)thus capacity is not a related problem. I have spent numerous hours in research trying to find a remedy for this very frustrating problem. Please advise what action I can take to get your product to operate on my computer.

Additional information that may be of help to you:

I have Windows XP - Service pack 2. The following hidden and non-hidden items are reflected in device manager under NETWORK Adapters.There are twenty entries as follows:

1394 Net Adapter 1394 Net Adapter #2 1394 Net Adapter #3

BROADCOM NETXTREME 57xx GIGABIT CONTROLLER BROADCOM NETXTREME 57xx GIGABIT CONTROLLER-- Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport BROADCOM NETXTREME 57xx GIGABIT CONTROLLER-- Package Scheduler Miniport

Direct Parallel

!D-LINK AIRPLUS G DWL-G510 WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER(revB) D-LINK AIRPLUS G DWL-G510 WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER(revB)-- Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport D-LINK AIRPLUS G DWL-G510 WIRELESS PCI ADAPTER(RevB)-- Packet Scheduler Miniport

LINKSYS USB 2.0 10/100 ADAPTER--Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport LINKSYS USB 2.0 10/100 ADAPTER--Packet Scheduler Mini-port LINKSYS USB 2.0 10/100 ADAPTER #2--Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport LINKSYS USB 2.0 10/100 ADAPTER #2--Packet Scheduler Miniport

WAN MINIPORT (IP) WAN MINIPORT (IP)- Deterministic Network Enhancer Miniport WAN MINIPORT (IP)- Packet Scheduler Miniport WAN MINIPORT (L2TP) WAN MINIPORT (PPPOE) WAN MINIPORT (PPTP)

--------------------------------------------- As additional information, please note that I have a satellite modem connected by ethernet to the Broadcom (57xx)item as shown near the top of the foregoing listing.

I am not sufficiently familiar enough with all of the above entries to explain what each and every item is for. Hopefully, they will mean something to you.

Note that the subject of this message, the D-LINK DWL G-510 is the only item under NETWORK ADAPTERS that is showing to be inoperative as indicated by an exclamation point !

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks ============End of Original Message ============

Reply to
Texan
Loading thread data ...

X-No-Archive: yes

That card sucks.

Anyway have you tried to remove the card.

Uninstall the drivers.

Install the drivers. Load up windows.

Shut it down and put the card in.

Reboot and it should be OK.

This is what I had to do, but on normal XP Pro.

Reply to
<127.0.0.1

From the looks of it, the drivers appear to be installed and recognized in device manager.

If you have XP SP2, you must turn off the Windows firewall with any D-Link card. Also, you should try to see if disabling and stopping the WZC service will allow you to use the D-Link utility and get the card to work. I don't believe that having the MC version of XP would have anything to do with the card working or not. There is nothing in MC that should conflict with the PCI card.

Reply to
drriff

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.