Problem with D-Link DI-524, please help!!!

Hi everyone,

I have tried almost everything but my D-Link DI-524 Router still doesn't work. However, I am new into these wireless gadgets, so I thought I should get some inputs from the pros before giving it back to the store.

Let me explain to you what I wanted. I have a laptop with XP SP2, and all I wanted was to go surfing wireless around the house, nothing more. No networks, no multiple connections, not the fancy stuff. My cable modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100E, which has been working just fine. My D-Link DI-524 (Version B.2, as if I didn't have enough problems) came bundled with the Wireless USB-Adapter DWL-G122. As ethernet card in my laptop I have a D-Link DFE-690TXD.

I installed the Router just as the D-Link QIG says so:

- turn everything off

- turn on the modem,

- connect the modem to the router,

- after the signal is received turn on the router,

- connect the router to the computer's ethernet card, turn the computer on,

- run the installation program; I clone the MAC address of the ethernet card (Home menu, WAN), keep DHCP enabled (Home menu, DHCP) and then I renew the DHCP on the status menu, device info.

- run the wireless installation, USB is recognized and gets signal, everything works fine the first time. I can surf, I can connect to MSN Messenger, the basic stuff. I turn the computer off and call it a day.

Next morning, I restart the computer. What I mean by this is, I turn everything off the night before, then everything on the next day. A friend told me that I was not supposed to cut the electricity off the router, as the configuration may get lost. Is that so??

Anyway, when I start the computer, the connections are recognized, I have a wireless signal and so on. Funny enough (although not that funny after three days trying to configure the router), when I go surfing nothing works. Also, I try to connect to MSN Messenger and it says that it cannot connect. I ran the MSN utility and it says that it has problems with the DNS.

I go to the router menu (192.168.0.1) and I see that the DHCP connection is lost. I renew it, and then everything goes back to normal. Do you guys have any clue why is this happening. Is my friend right, am I not supposed to turn the router off by no means??

I went to the router menu (192.168.0.1) and disabled the DHCP-Server. The WAN connection worked beautifully. But I lost the DNS on the wireless. I mean, I am on the verge of giving up. I need your help, please guys!!!

Anyway, there was something stranger. I was having this problem the other day, and I started emule. Well, when I connected emule, everything worked afterwards. Any inputs on this one??

Thanks for your help in advance. Have a good day.

Reply to
mikelon
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.