Making D-Link DI-524 wireless secure

It seems like my efforts to extend my wireless network has required me to first back track and get some of the more basic elements working. I have D-Link DI-524 Wireless Router with Firmware Version: 1.23 , Mon, 24 Jul 2006.

When I go to HOME WIRELESS and try to enable WEP encoding, the router does not reply the the "apply" function key. As I recall, with prior versions of the software, clicking the "apply" function key used to lead to a screen change and the message, "the device is restarting." Now nothing seems to happen even if I let the router sit for quite a while. It never seems to accept a WEP code. (Yes I know that the WEP code is easily broken, but I want to get it working before moving on to a more sophisticated code. )

However, if I use the "wizard," I can get it to accept a WEP code and to limit access to the wireless network.

Why might I be able to set it up using the "wizard" and not be set it up using the dialog box screens?

Reply to
windsurferLA
Loading thread data ...

I'll add that the router is set for OPEN system authentication, 64 Bit hex, and the entered code is 10 hexidecimal with the password limited to numbers and the letters A,B,C,D,E,F,

Reply to
windsurferLA

I think I have solved why I can't set the security options on the D-Link DI-524. After wasting a few hours, an internet search indicated that the problem may be an incompatibility with Firefox. Sure enough, setting up security on the router worked right away using Internet Explorer. According to the sites I visited, there are errors in the java code (what ever that is) that comes with the D-Link firmware upgrades.

Reply to
windsurferLA

Reply to
Colin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.