problem replacing dlink 604 (wired) router with wireless

Hi All Equipment: dsl modem= Speedstream 5360 current router = Dlink 604 (Wired) ISP = Sbc Yahoo DSL Problem: when i remove the 604 and try to connect modem directly to PC the PC cannot commumicate with internet. All lights on modem and nic show connection and when i try to go to web page the activity lights flash but i always get a "cannot find server" error message. I discovered this problem when I tried to replace the 604 with a wireless router and got same result. so i attempted to remove the router (604) and just go dsl modem to PC. Before I installed the 604 I had cable directly to pc from modem. however I have upgraded PC since then. I have attempted bypassing the 604 with both my laptop and desktop. Same results on both. I have tried 2 wireless routers and the direct connections method mentioned above and the only way i can get on the inet is through the

604. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Reply to
BRC
Loading thread data ...

Hi, How do you get your IP? Fixed or auto? Even if you renew the lease? Tried ping anything? What do you see when you issue a command ipconfig /all?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.