Strange Belkin Wireless Problem

Hi

I have a brand new Belkin Wireless G router (F5D7230uk4). It works fine as a wireless router, connects successfuly to the internet via cable modem and allows acces via wireless networking. However, whenever I plug another PC in via a wired port, within 60 seconds the internet and wireless lights go out, the other lights go orange and both wireless connectivity and internet connectivity are lost. I have tried this with two different PCs and a couple of different cables, so I don't think it is down to a faulty cable or network card. Actually, if I plug both PCs in to wired ports they can connect to each other quite happily, but the wireless network disappears.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Paul

Reply to
Peavy
Loading thread data ...

Do you have the router's DHCP client turned on? Otherwise, try turning it on. And, seeing that you are on a cable modem, you may have to re-establish your lease (register a MAC address) on your ISP's set-up page - if they have such one.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Here in Holland, the first point of contact needs to have a specific name. If it's the computer it needs a name beginning with cc and then a bunch of numbers. Maybe something to look at.

On the other hand, if you use NTL, you're on your own (bad experiences in the past).

Reply to
Spete

I'm not familiar with Belkin, but if I saw that type of behavior the first place I would look at (DLink) is for the "Ethernet to WLAN interconnectivity" option to be enabled. Next, I'd start looking at DHCP, IP's, and filters...

However, those LEDs "going orange" is suspicious. These are the LEDs for the LAN port? Orange usually means that the wired connection is only at 10Mbs, while green means it is 100Mbs. That router could very well have a bad switch in it.

Brand new? Return it.

Reply to
Eric

Are you trying to run two pc on the cable modem? One via the wireless and one wired. If you are, then you may need to place a wired router between the cable modem and the wireless router. The cable modem's dhcp may only allow one connection. By placing the wired router in between, the cable modem will connect with the wired router, which will also have DHCP also to link to all the additional wired pc's and devices. D-link, Lynksys, and other make these and they are usually under $50 for a four port model.

Reply to
ms

The F5D7230uk is a NAT router. I read what the OP wrote, that he plugged the PC into one of the router's ports.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Many thanks to all of you for your suggestions and thoughts. For various reasons I have not yet been able to try all of them out, but will do at the first opportunity and will re-post with whatever I discover.

Paul

Reply to
Peavy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.