Problems with Wireless Router install

Hi everybody I working right now in Brazil and have a 550 kbps broadband connection. The internet reaches the computer through a modem at present. However, having recently acquired a second computer we have tried to install a wireless router (D-Link 802.11g/2.4GHz) between the modem and the computer. Although I have followed the instructions to the letter, when I get to do the final test, I get an error message saying the router is not detected. After telling me to check the connection between the router and the computer (which is not the problem), the install goes no further than this. Note that in my desperation, I have actually physically changed the modem and the router and the various network cables for new versions without at all improving the situation. I have spoken to the ISP down here but they showed little interest in helping me. Can anybody out there offer a glimmer of hope? Thanks Paul

Reply to
PaulFXH
Loading thread data ...

"PaulFXH" hath wroth:

Before you reply, could you clarify if you are in Brazil, or somewhere else? I'm assuming somewhere else.

I'll also assume a DSL or satellite modem. Maker and model number of your hardware is always helpful.

You say the modem reaches the internet. Prove it. Plug a computah directly into the modem, bypassing the router, and see if you have a connection. (Assumption, the mother of all screwups).

Same problem. Any particular model DLink wireless router? They only have about a dozen models.

Possibly because you don't have a crossover ethernet cable between the modem and the router. I'm not 100.0% sure that a crossover cable is required, but it's a good idea to get someone to check the lights on the modem and the router to see if the cable connection is doing it's job.

The router is fairly smart. It's complaining that there is no connection between the DLink router and the modem. I assume that the modem is working normally, so that leaves the cable. Check if it needs a crossover cable.

Did anyone check the lights?

Oh well. Get a new ISP? I think they can look at the lights and see for themselves. I've had similar situation and it's almost always either a wrong/bad cable, or someone plugging the cables in the wrong ports.

Yeah. I had this communications problems a few weeks ago with a friend working with a customer in Tahiti. Nobody around claimed they could speak English. My Jr High Skool French was a lost cause. So, I talked them into taking photos on a digital camera and send them to me. The wrong cable in the wrong hole problem was instantly obvious. (I wish Cisco would stop using RJ45 connector for their serial console ports). See if they have a camera and use it.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Apr 1, 2:03 am, Jeff Liebermann wrote: Hi Jeff Thanks for your reply

Yes, I am both physically and mentally in the beautiful country of Brazil.

The connection is DSL and the model number is D-Link DI-524

We have been receiving internet to one desktop computer through a Speed Stream 5200 modem for some time without any problems.

As mentioned above it is a D-Link DI-524

I have to admit I have no idea what is a crossover cable. The cable I'm using to connect the modem to the router is the same blue network cable that I use to connect the modem to the computer. It is also known as an ethernet cable. The lights showing on the modem are identified as: pwr, dsl, enet The lights showing on the router are identified as: Power, Status, WAN, Wlan, 1

Not sure how to check this. Any suggestions?

All lights are mentioned above

I'm certain the cables are NOT in the wrong ports and am equally certain that the cable itself is functional. However, whether it is the RIGHT cable I cannot be sure right now. My previous experience in this area has always been with combined router/modems which obviously did not require any modem-to-router cable.

Thanks for any further suggestions/comments Paul

Reply to
PaulFXH

"PaulFXH" hath wroth:

(...)

(...)

Please note that this does NOT appear to be a wireless related problem.

I was wrong. No crossover ethernet cable is required to connect a Speedstream 5200 to the WAN port of a DI-524. Please ignore my comments related to requiring a different cable.

However, there is a potential complication with connecting a router to a Speedstream 5200. The 5200 can be setup with internal NAT. The easy way to tell if this is happening is to plug your computer directly into the 5200, and then run: start -> run -> cmd ipconfig If your IP address is 192.168.xxx.xxx, then the 5200 has internal NAT enabled. At this point, methinks it best to call your ISP for assistance.

The 5200 can also be configured with router firmware. See data sheet at:

Please determine which firmware you are using and whether you have a DSL modem configuration or router configuration before continuing. The setups are quite different.

Please make sure you can connect and configure your DI-524 with both computers. Go to:

and check if you can see the web based configuration in the DI-524.

If you can do this, then go to the WAN or internet page. It should look like this:

Do it with both computers.

At this point, I have no clue how to configure your DI-524 with your efficient 5200, which itself can be configured in 3 different modes.

If you inspect the connectors on both ends of a common CAT5 ethernet connector, the wiring on both connectors will be identical. However, some devices require that the transmit and receive lines be reversed in order to work. For example, if you were to connect a hub or switch to the LAN ports of a router, it would require either a crossover cable, or an MDI/MDI-X switch on the hub or switch. You can tell if you have the correct cable by checking if the corresponding lights are illuminated. Also see:

The color of the cable means nothing.

That seems correct. The light in question here is the WAN light. Since it is illuminated, I presume that the connection to the 5200 DSL modem is correct. The cable or connection is not the problem.

Yes. Re-read what I wrote about checking the lights on the router and the modem. When the cable between the router and the modem in plugged and unplugged, the lights at both ends that correspond to the cable should turn on and off. From your description of one side of the cable, the corresponding lights are lit and therefore the cable is not the problem.

The cable has two ends. The other end is plugged into the modem. What lights are are on and off on the modem end? The light labelled "ethernet" should be on.

Correct. It's probably not the cable.

Can you explain what program or where you are getting the "router not detected" error message? This is not a typical Windoze error message.

I'm assuming that the connection between the computer and the DI-524 is via another CAT5 ethernet cable and NOT via wireless because light #1 is turned on. Yet, you mention that you have two computers. How is the 2nd computer connected? Wire or wireless?

My guess is that since the DSL modem by itself is functional, and the DI-524 is apparently correctly wired, then the problem is on the WAN (internet) configuration page of the DI-524 or in the various internal configurations in the Speedstream 5200 modem. This is beyond my abilities to handle remotely and will best be configured with the assistance of your ISP or someone locally with some experience.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.